🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    Today's one thing - prioritised the guilt inducing and annoying jobs, instead of doing things in a practical order.  Belated present posted, long belated donations now finally gone from car boot (and making someone else happy), bills paid, PIN lock on most useful bank card sorted.  Also made a start on messaging decorators as have decided although I can do this myself, it takes up enormous chunks of time I could be doing other, more fun things. 

Wins - realised payday is closer than I thought and paid another £500 off the interest bearing CC.  Should be able to clear that now on payday if not before.  Also realised I have to go into town tomorrow for a medical appointment, so will combine that with a supermarket shop and save a trip. 

Glitches - confirmation that I can't transfer pension to current employer as have missed 12 month window.  For very good pandemic related reasons, but not entirely sure it would be to my benefit anyhow so may just leave this one alone. 

Plans - message more local decorators, see if I can finally fix the roman blind that isn't working (I've taken it apart a couple of times already - if anybody has info or recommended YouTube on this, it would be welcome!). 

Lecture last night was good, will do more of those in the long evenings  :) 

RB xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    You're on fire there - and yes, sometimes it is those "naggy" jobs that are actually more important than they initially feel as though they should be in the grand scheme of things! 

Also agree about decorating - we can. but we don't enjoy it, and so for us, it's a simple decision to pay someone else to do it. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    You're on fire there - and yes, sometimes it is those "naggy" jobs that are actually more important than they initially feel as though they should be in the grand scheme of things! 

Also agree about decorating - we can. but we don't enjoy it, and so for us, it's a simple decision to pay someone else to do it. 
    Same here with the decorating. I can do it, and don't mind doing it but OH isn't keen so it takes me ages, he gets fed up with all the stuff about and I get fed up doing it on my own. So I do a few small bits (couple of ceilings to do next week) but the larger stuff we're going to get someone in to blitz. Prob next year now.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    Well, I have a potential recommendation for a decorator but already acknowledged he's booked up, so suspect I will still have to do the most immediate room myself but will see about the rest. 

One thing... allowed myself a late start after sleeping very badly.  I've been staying up too late reading and have got a bit out of sync.  Oh, and got my flu shot and Covid booster so I guess that counts. 

MS wins...
    Did an in store shop at M-sons, since I was in town anyway and they are still offering 10% NHS discount in store.  Thinking of making this a habit as if I picked one night in the week I could combine it with another store to make it worth driving.  Really do need to get more organised about food shopping and meal planning. 

MS fails...
    None to report!

Frog count...
    None tackled today, some to try tomorrow and through the weekend though. 
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Hello, I had some reading to do, hope things family wise have settled down. I am a bit crap with money but I don't have a finance app, I literally do everything by standing order or Direct debit. And pay myself (currently) 400 quid spending money to separate account(petrol, lunches, nights out...vets). When I over spend it goes on my CC and comes out of next month's money and it is kind of working. 

How is the doing one thing each day going? XXXX 
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 November 2021 at 11:05PM
    Options
    Hello, I had some reading to do, hope things family wise have settled down. I am a bit crap with money but I don't have a finance app, I literally do everything by standing order or Direct debit. And pay myself (currently) 400 quid spending money to separate account(petrol, lunches, nights out...vets). When I over spend it goes on my CC and comes out of next month's money and it is kind of working. 

How is the doing one thing each day going? XXXX 

Hi @Buffythedebtslayer , the family stuff is about where it was, but now I feel better about it :D and hopefully after a bit more reflection and with the help of counselling will find a way forward.  It probably should count as my major one thing at present. 

I am not sure I could manage without some sort of finance tracker.  Even before I had software I had a spreadsheet.  I have two accounts, but that's only really so there is one available if I lose a card and because the NW one gets me access to their mortgage deals.  I am sort of doing similar in paying a chunk of money to the bird account and using that for 'out and about' stuff. 

I've just got very cross with YNAB and sent for a trial of Actual software, which is less than half the subscription costs and hopefully doesn't have their mad credit card allocation thing.  It's not just that it confuses me, it's actually messed things up now because having paid the house insurance on a credit card but not paid the statement yet, YNAB thinks I still have that money in the pot and refuses to believe I now need to budget to target for next year's payment... sigh.  Anyway, hopefully that's another one thing that will turn out to make my life easier! 

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    One thing... slept in.  Which feels like a bit of a waste of a day's leave, but I obviously really needed it because I slept til lunchtime.  Hoping to feel a bit more in sync tomorrow. 

MS wins
    • TCB finally showing the £35 for my car insurance - it's taken ages and will of course be even longer to pay, but glad it showed up as there was a very confusing picture of all the TCB comparison site links I went to and I wasn't sure it would sort itself out.  The house insurance one seems to be showing up already so hopefully that will uplift ok as well.  Also pleased that this means I got the total costs down to about £110 for the house insurance and £160 for the car (barring disasters, the car should also go down further next year). 
    • I'm cross with YNAB about another thing and think I've about had enough, so am currently planning to move to another system which is way cheaper.  I realised last night that their new cleverness about linking loan accounts with categories seems to mean you can only use that category for paying the loan - which is a flaming nuisance as the fact that I'm paying for something on an interest free credit option doesn't affect what it is, any more than if I'd put it on the credit card, and it got me very confused about my payment to the plasterer was reducing the home stuff allocation but insisting it had been paid to the carpet company, when it absolutely hadn't.  I don't want to have to make separate categories for how I paid stuff done for the house, and can't find anything to unlink the category from the account on the help so had to delete the account and re-enter the payment... not things I am inclined to pay double the cost for. 

MS fails...
    None (so far)

Frog count
    • One small one - checked all my credit reports.  All ok, phew. 

Plans (am now deliberately limiting this to three small things)
    • Wondering if I can get my tax return done this weekend - would hopefully be a chunk of money back.
    • Need to have a think about my swim membership - haven't been getting there despite paying every month.  I need to either decide to focus on other things and cancel it, or find some times I can go. I did want to improve for next summer. 
    • have another go at fixing the blind

Onwards...
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Dashing in for a payday shuffle.  Thinking it may be time for a fresh start and finally a new diary.  Maybe at the weekend...

CCs paid today, budget already done.  It doesn't look too good, I am about £5k down on the CC (exam costs, furniture, dishwasher, house costs) and have £1700 of carpets on 0%.  All doable, but needs a plan and to make sure money is going on the important and meaningful things.  There will be some more house costs to come, and I'm currently paying for private counselling which means there is less spare each month (however it's really worth it and I hope won't be required much longer). 

One thing...
    Good point, can't think of one today.  So will take some time tonight to read a wardrobe-sorting type book... that will be good for my mood, help save space and save money in future. 

MS wins...
    Swopped my default card on Amazon as soon as I heard about the Visa issue.  Just had £20 credit for adding a different one, which makes something I wanted for the dog 1/3 of the cost. 
    Finally cleared the interest bearing credit card this month, so at least nothing is costing me interest now. 
    Found I don't really enjoy the expensive chocolate I used to love :D - put an order in thinking it would be a treat and I could decide what I wanted more of for Christmas.  Finding all of it too sweet and won't order again now. 

MS fails...
    Well, not exactly fails as they are needed - ordered new winter boots and underwear.  Realised I only had trainers and heels that are presentable after 2 years of not going out, and heels are not ideal for where I am now - it's no longer a question of flat streets from the train or car park!  Not sure how much of it will be staying. 
    Dropped a tub of paint in the car park - thank goodness it missed both my boots and the car, but the shop refused to replace it so that was £20 just gone, very annoying! 

Frog count for the last few days...
    Fixed a bath panel
    Shifted stuff for wallpaper stripping
    Bought paint

Plans...
    Oops still need to do all of the last lot!  And sort another blind. 

Little by little...

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Well I was feeling smug about my £10 AZ credit for adding a Mastercard until then 😜 still every little helps. Well done on the £20

How flipping annoying about the paint, but thank goodness about missing boots and car. I witnessed the aftermath in H0mebase car park where something had been dropped and it was over 2 cars and their wheels (both cars had driven through it by the looks of it, white paint nicely splashed in wheel arches too). 
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    kerri_gt said:
    Well I was feeling smug about my £10 AZ credit for adding a Mastercard until then 😜 still every little helps. Well done on the £20

How flipping annoying about the paint, but thank goodness about missing boots and car. I witnessed the aftermath in H0mebase car park where something had been dropped and it was over 2 cars and their wheels (both cars had driven through it by the looks of it, white paint nicely splashed in wheel arches too). 
    I think the extra £10 was because of Prime.  Much as I'd like to avoid using Az, I really don't have the time to go shopping for every little thing and not everything can be done in the supermarket order instead.  So it is still my default for random bobs. 

Eeek to driving through it... I'm not sure quite what I did, I think I may have perched it on the trolley corner as I turned back to make a space for it and there was a 'splut'... it split along the seam and the remainder stayed in so I took it back partly in the hope of a refund and also in the hope they'd get the car park sorted and avoid exactly what you described! 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family