We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Standard tariff temporarily?

UKSBD
UKSBD Posts: 868 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
I've just bought a new property which needs approx 3 - 4 months of work done to it before I move in.

When finished I may only live in it for 6 months before deciding what to do with it.

Is there any point than going for anything other than a standard tariff under these circumstances?

Comments

  • MK55
    MK55 Posts: 286 Forumite
    a discount on nothing...is nothing. i would recommend looking for a standard tariff which doesnt have a daily standing charge. otherwise you will be paying a daily rate for having access to gas and electric.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,762 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I'd still look for a cheaper deal just make sure it is a no standing charge one.
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 868 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    MK55 wrote: »
    a discount on nothing...is nothing. i would recommend looking for a standard tariff which doesnt have a daily standing charge. otherwise you will be paying a daily rate for having access to gas and electric.

    Thanks,
    Previous supplier was npower, so I phoned them to give them meter reading, let them know I had just completed on property and told them circumstances.

    They said they would just put me on their standard tariff for now until I am settled in more.

    I assume there is no standing charge with npower?

    I may be paying a bit more per unit, but as it's lying empty a lot of the time this is still best?
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    You contacted nPower at 11 oclock at night??? :huh: :eek:

    Anyway, so glad you listened to all the advice you received ;)

    It's always good to see an MSE'er thinking it's best to pay more than is needed. :cool:
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,129 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    UKSBD wrote: »
    Thanks,
    Previous supplier was npower, so I phoned them to give them meter reading, let them know I had just completed on property and told them circumstances.

    They said they would just put me on their standard tariff for now until I am settled in more.

    I assume there is no standing charge with npower?

    I may be paying a bit more per unit, but as it's lying empty a lot of the time this is still best?

    You assume wrong-Standard will have standing charges. You simply need to ask for the cheapest NSC tariff that does not have an ETC-a comp site will find you that in seconds.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 868 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Wywth wrote: »
    You contacted nPower at 11 oclock at night??? :huh: :eek:

    Anyway, so glad you listened to all the advice you received ;)

    It's always good to see an MSE'er thinking it's best to pay more than is needed. :cool:

    They are open at 11 oclock :eek:

    I phoned them during the day with my meter reading and they said they would just set me up on standard tariff until I decided which was best.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.