Natwest & Airmiles

Options
I've just got letters from Natwest and Airmiles saying that Airmiles has moved to Lloyds

Natwest are making a big deal about their new scheme with Easyjet (which costs £3 a month!) and saying that Airmiles doesn't have much choice

Last year I used my airmiles to book a Thompson holiday and this year I've used them to book both a Virgin flight and a hotel - seems pretty good choice to me???

My advice - ditch Natwest now! It is not worth paying £3 a month for this crap scheme when you can get double your miles for free with Lloyds!!!!

Comments

• ultrak3wl
    ultrak3wl Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    I never got the letter from WetNast but did get the Lloyds one. It is a shame because I quite like my existing account especially the way they don't charge you up the wazoo for foreign currency transactions like other cards do.

But you're right Airmiles was the reason I got the account in the first place. I don't fancy the Lloyds deal though as the 1-airmile-per-£10 only applies to their Amex card and as everyone knows you can't hardly use these anywhere. The Mastercard on the dual-card account is 1-per-£50.

Lastly, I have never redeemed any Airmiles because I started to think that what use is a free flight when you will have to pay a huge amount these days for half a dozen taxes and surcharges. Are Airmile actually worth bothering any more I mean should I be looking for a replacement card with a different kind of freebie?
    [size=+2]I MSE[/size]
  • MrsGrey
    MrsGrey Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is a discussion going on here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5035469&posted=1#post5035469
    about this.
    I am quite confused by how the forums are organised. The other discussion linked from "Credit Card Freebies" article. I guess it is more of a Credit Card Rewards issue :confused:
  • King_Of_Fools
    King_Of_Fools Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ultrak3wl wrote: »
    I never got the letter from WetNast but did get the Lloyds one. It is a shame because I quite like my existing account especially the way they don't charge you up the wazoo for foreign currency transactions like other cards do.
    Yes they do... :confused:
  • ultrak3wl
    ultrak3wl Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    No really... it is worth remembering this before making the decision to ditch them. Here's an example

02 APR USD 12.00 charge, exchange rate 1.923077 = GBP 6.24

A single charge at a reasonable rate. Some of my other cards go on about adding a currency conversion fee and all sorts.
    [size=+2]I MSE[/size]
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No really... it is worth remembering this before making the decision to ditch them. Here's an example

A single charge at a reasonable rate. Some of my other cards go on about adding a currency conversion fee and all sorts.

I would bet that the 2.75% fee is included in the exchange rate and hidden.
  • King_Of_Fools
    King_Of_Fools Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

The 2.75% is hidden in the exchange rate used:
    http://www.natwest.com/personal02a.asp?id=PERSONAL/DAY_TO_DAY/CREDIT_CARDS/RATES_CHARGES

"Foreign exchange transactions are subject to a conversion fee of 2.75%"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport