We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

£ months for a British Gas decision

ascint
ascint Posts: 16 Forumite
I was informed 3 months ago my payment plan had been closed due to my failure to pay. Well I had paid regularly. Then it after some complaint was reinstated but at £100 per month more. I complained and despite several reminders from me I eventually was contacted by a debt collection agency for the outstanding bill.
I complained and kept paying the regular due sum. Received a letter eventually to say apologies for the time taken to reply but your plan was cancelled if you need further help contact the debt collection agency. This time I had a name and number, so I rang said individual. After a brief chat he asked me to wait while he looked the case up and eventually said he would ring back within 10 mins. 30 or so mins later he rings back to tell me the reason I was having problems was that way back in July I paid the due amount on the 18th of the month. As my payment was not due until the 24th of the month my plan had been closed.Imagine my amazement. I have asked for written confirmation of the reason and the agreement that my normal fee is still payable, its been promised. Was told that its very important not to pay the amount due too early, or pay more than required unless I ring up first ?? Will I get more from the debt collection agency, will I get the promised confirmation ?
Moral of the tale never pay British Gas before the due date.

Comments

  • Were you supposed to be on a direct debit, standing order or a payment card payment plan.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...


    Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 11,057 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    my guess payment card plan, and the sounds of it the op was paying at iregular intervals
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.