Looking for CREDIT CARD

Options
mrtn
mrtn Posts: 23 Forumite
Hi guys,

It's my first post on this forums :beer:

wonder if anyone can help. I'm looking for Credit Card - the only problem I have is that I have been in UK now for only 13 months. My credit score is not bad but is not perfect either. I have never missed a payment etc. Recently had credit report from checkmyfile- my credit score as follows - Equifax 796, Experian 398 (no credit on experian at all...), Call Credit 658. I have already got CC from Barclaycard(12.9%) but they keep reducing my credit limit which doesn't help... What I'm looking for is lowest APR possible or any cashbacks

cheers
mrtn

Comments

• MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunely it is more difficult for residents from overseas to get good credit, at least at first.

The best thing I think is for you to build up a good credit history which is a bit of a vicious circle as you need to get credit to do this! My girlfriend is foreign and she managed to open a First Direct current account and they also offered her a credit card when she opened this, albeit with a low limit. You could try them. A few months later and she was able to get an Egg Money Card with a £2000 limit which offers 1% cash back :)

She had a NatWest current account too but they refused her a card even though she had had an account with them for 5 years!

It is generally easier to get a card from a bank which you have some prior history with. Who is you current account with?

And you shouldn't place too much (or any) faith in the "credit scores" issued to you by the three rating agencies - they are arbitrary and have very little to do with whether you will be offered a credit card or not. Each credit card issuer uses different criteria in making their decision.
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • mrtn
    Options
    thanks for quick response.

i have recently switched to Halifax, and i'm with them for about 3-4 months. when I applied for an account - i applied for CC the same time but obviously - it was declined.
    i'm aware that lenders have their own credit scoring but the numbers were just to give you an idea...i believe credit score isn't the biggest issue but what seems to be a problem is the time I've been here. it't bit weird as i can get a mortgage after 12months here but when i called for ask for CC's criteria they require me to be here for 3 years...
    there is couple CC where it looks like my application can be accepted but there is no point getting a card with 35% APR... :rotfl:
  • bonecase
    bonecase Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    I am a foreigner as well. The same as you, I started from Barclay's international student account plus student card. It was 250 pounds credit limit at very first. Now I have managed to update the Barclays card to Barclay golden VISA, and a Nationwide cashback credit card (one year ago), a Morgan Stanley card (10 months ago) and an egg money card (couple of days ago). My suggestion is whichever account you like, do not cancel or swich your longest history account. When you are applying a new card, give them details of this long history account. I hope this will helpful. Good luck!
  • mrtn
    Options
    does anyone know any CC's where they require only 12 months residency in UK - not 3 years???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure