card company breached my details.

Options
Hi I am new here and looking for some advice, I took out a credit card a few months ago. In November I used my friends daughters mobile phone to make a payment on my bill as my mobile was in for repair. This month both my own mobile and my friends daughter have received my monthly txt notifying us when my bill needs paying by and then my most recent one that my account is over its balance.
I have rang the card company and asked why they have sent my information out to a mobile number that I have not authorized to use or asked them to keep on my behalf. After ringing 3 times and waiting 6 days for the complaints department to get in touch with me, I have been told that they are legally bound to do this. In response to the embarrassment and upset caused in my house hold i was told they would knock off the late payment cost.
It is in my belief that they should not be able to store numbers that I have not authorized on my application and therefore in breach of the data protection act by allowing my friend and her daughter know my credit state. Any help would be very helpful.

Comments

  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    re3exxa wrote: »
    ...they are legally bound to do this.....
    This is obviously bu11shit - just to fob you off.

    That said, they offered you some compensation and most likely have corrected their error. What else do you want?
  • gglaze
    gglaze Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Which credit card company?
    Thanks
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    How are they to know that you have not changed mobile no???? Did you tell them when making the payment, that you were using a borrowed mobile?

    You go overlimit and they will use ALL known numbers and address to contact you.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    They don't need permission to retain - indeed, if your contact resulted in fraudulent transactions they would look pretty stupid if they could not provide details of the number that called them.

    However, they're just being too clever by half - by associating all numbers used to contact them and then using them as a method of contacting the customer just riddles their database with inaccuracies - BUT - with the bulk of callers using mobiles, and reluctant to dispose of a number when they change their phone(s), you could argue its a clever ploy.

    Of course, if you were not close to a potential breach of terms, they wouldn't be attempting to contacting you. That said, as long as they did not disclose personally identifiable information, you cannot escalate your displeasure officially.
  • re3exxa
    Options
    Thanks guys for the advice.
    The credit card was Vanquis. To dalesrider, I confirmed my details as usual when rang to make a payment, ie the normal security questions. I did not realise they were able to know that i was ringing from a different number. I have no issues with them keeping the details but if they gave me half a chance to reply to the one they sent me and not attempt to track me down like a criminal within less than 24hrs of going over my limit I would be fine with that.
    I am also aware that that any lending firm are not allowed to divulge your credit state, which the txt message clearly does. Again i would not not of been so mortified if they had txt the phone asking me to get in touch or even emailed me as per the details i gave on my credit agreement.

    cheers guys.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    re3exxa wrote: »
    ...
    I am also aware that that any lending firm are not allowed to divulge your credit state, ....
    This is correct, but to a certain degree only. They routinely report your credit state to several CRAs that make this information available to almost everyone willing to pay for it.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    re3exxa wrote: »
    To dalesrider, I did not realise they were able to know that i was ringing from a different number.

    I am also aware that that any lending firm are not allowed to divulge your credit state, which the txt message clearly does.
    cheers guys.

    Part of mosts bank security is the ability to see the number calling in.
    Should someone get some security details wrong. If they are calling from a listed No, then its easier to get it sorted. Rather then if calling from a unlisted one.
    As that can mean calls being listened too, to check voice patterns.

    Do Vanquis have text messaging of your balance or last few trans?
    If yes. Then they are doing nothing wrong.
    If they do not, then I would be asking why they are adding it to a text and not as you say simply asking you to call.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dalesrider wrote: »
    As that can mean calls being listened too, to check voice patterns.

    A 'Jeremy Kyle' lie detector test? :rotfl:
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought it was not appropriate to update a customers telephone without their permission?

    For example taking the number from the telephone display then putting it on a customers account without prior consent.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    I thought it was not appropriate to update a customers telephone without their permission?

    For example taking the number from the telephone display then putting it on a customers account without prior consent.

    Well we would not.

    But clearly some do.


    SnowTiger.
    No. just a good old human ear. :p
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards