Tesco Laptop Died

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
8 replies 1.1K views
felixdahousecat_2felixdahousecat_2 Forumite
31 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Hello, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...

Bought an Acer Aspire from Tesco in February last year, this morning it died, completely. There is no sign of life, I checked and the power supply is ok.

I know it was guaranteed for 12 months, but I feel it should have lasted longer than 15 months before failing completely.

I haven't been to the store yet as I wanted some sort of idea what I should be asking for first.

Is there anything that I can do, or would any gesture that they make be at their complete discretion ?

Thanks

Paul

Replies

• taxiphiltaxiphil Forumite
    2K Posts
    Forget the guarantee and their discretion - you have the Sale of Goods Act on your side. There is no way a laptop should break after 14 months, and you would almost certainly win a claim for this in court.

Write to Tesco demanding a repair or replacement within 14 days, and threaten to issue a claim in the County Court if they don't comply. They might try to fob you off at first, but once they know you're serious about court action they'll sort it out.
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    try taking out the battery and then powering it up solely on mains, it's not unknown for a duff battery to cause similar problems
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • taxiphil wrote: »
    Forget the guarantee and their discretion - you have the Sale of Goods Act on your side. There is no way a laptop should break after 14 months, and you would almost certainly win a claim for this in court.

Write to Tesco demanding a repair or replacement within 14 days, and threaten to issue a claim in the County Court if they don't comply. They might try to fob you off at first, but once they know you're serious about court action they'll sort it out.

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

The receipt gives the manufacturer's helpline number for the first 12 months cover, presumably I will get nowhere with that. Should I give the store a chance to rectify the problem, or write (email?) to the head office or customer relations deparment ?

Thanks again

Paul
  • Browntoa wrote: »
    try taking out the battery and then powering it up solely on mains, it's not unknown for a duff battery to cause similar problems

Try following this advice. It might not even be a duff battery - it can be be just slightly unseated.
  • taxiphiltaxiphil Forumite
    2K Posts
    Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

The receipt gives the manufacturer's helpline number for the first 12 months cover, presumably I will get nowhere with that. Should I give the store a chance to rectify the problem, or write (email?) to the head office or customer relations deparment ?

Thanks again

Paul

No, the manufacturer won't want to know if it's outside 12 months, and legally it's got nothing to do with the manufacturer - your contract is with the retailer.

You could try asking in the store but I'm fairly sure they'll just fob you off by saying it's not under guarantee and there's nothing they can do (Most Tesco store managers and CS staff have sheer ignorance and contempt for the law of the land). But it may be worth a go - if you stand your ground and quote your statutory rights, you might get lucky and get a decent manager who gives you a refund or replacement on the spot.

Their call centre staff in Dundee (0800 505555) are equally likely to fob you off - they're a cowboy outfit.

I would write to their head office in Cheshunt by Recorded Delivery. Here is an example of a 'Letter Before Action':
    Dear Sir/Madam

Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)
    Letter Before Action

On [date] I purchased a [product & model number] from your [name of store] store at a cost of [price paid].

Unfortunately the product is not satisfactory because [describe fault].

The Sale of Goods Act states that all goods purchased must be of satisfactory quality and fit for all normal purposes. My rights under the Sale of Goods Act can last for up to six years, and I would not expect a [type of product] of this value to have failed after just over twelve months.

Therefore, this product does not comply with the terms of the Sale of Goods Act and I am entitled to a satisfactory repair or replacement within a reasonable time.

I request that you either repair or replace the [type of product] by [insert date that is 14 days away from date of letter]. If I do not hear from you by this date, I will have no alternative but to take further action, in the County Court if necessary, for the costs of a repair or replacement item.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

xxxxxx
  • Thanks so much for your help, I called the call centre, they seemed quite optimistic that I would get it sorted in store. Going to the store today, if no joy I will try the letter supplied.

Thanks again.

Paul
  • Ok, went to the store, they were no use at all, so sent the letter supplied by taxiphil.

Tesco sent me a 'electrical goods out of warranty' form, very simple to fill in.

Good news is that this morning I received an apology letter and a cheque for £350 ! That's the exact amount that I paid for the replacement, so very happy with that.

Many, many thanks for your advice and support.

Paul
  • Glad you got it sorted felix! x
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up