🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

help needed (hsbc credit card)

Options
hi all,

well basically i dont really use the card that much, but this month i used it once.

well i waited for letter from hsbc to say how much i needed to pay off this month and when by, but i never recieved anything, so yesturday i rang them up (27th this month) to see what was happening.

the guy on the fone said that the min payment was due tommorow! (28th april) i was pretty !!!!ed of as i have never missed a payment.

well i told the guy to direct the amount from my debit account, which he did.

now i am worried because it will take 72hours to go through, 3 working days, which will be wenesday. what is likely to happen? will i get charged? and will this effect my credit score. if this happens can i take it further as i hadnt recieved a statement from them?

thanks in advance

Ant

Comments

• RTNI
    RTNI Posts: 817 Forumite
    Options
    mac456 wrote: »
    hi all,

well basically i dont really use the card that much, but this month i used it once.

well i waited for letter from hsbc to say how much i needed to pay off this month and when by, but i never recieved anything, so yesturday i rang them up (27th this month) to see what was happening.

the guy on the fone said that the min payment was due tommorow! (28th april) i was pretty !!!!ed of as i have never missed a payment.

now i am worried because it will take 72hours to go through, 3 working days, which will be wenesday. what is likely to happen? will i get charged? and will this effect my credit score. if this happens can i take it further as i hadnt recieved a statement from them?

thanks in advance

Ant

If you paid on the 27th and its due on the 28th, (today) and the transfer takes 3 working days, then yes you will be charged for late payment, (£12) plus interest on the full balance as it was not paid in time. It should not effect your credit score, most lenders will only report after about 5 days if no payment is received.

You can complain that you didn't get a stmatment, but the bank will prob tell you that it is not an error on their part; but you can try.

RT
    Regards, Robin.
    2011 MFW # 34
    Mortgage starting balance at Sept 09 - £127,224 on 30 year term. Currently balance approx £116,945 (Updated Jan '12)
    Estimated MFD - [STRIKE]Sept 2039[/STRIKE]
    , April 2031 (in progress!)
  • skystar
    skystar Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    mac456 wrote: »

Was the payment made from an HSBC bank a/c?

If yes then there shouldn't be any late fees as the payment will be credited for payment purposes as of the 27th (provided the payment was made before 8pm).

Yes it does take 3 working days to clear but that is for you to use the funds again on the card.

Hope this helps :D
  • magentadreamer
    Options
    You might find that they don't charge you a late payment fee, I was once in a similar situation and all I was charged was the interest on the amount which was a lot less then a late payment fee!
  • MARTIMAN
    MARTIMAN Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    This actually happened to me twice with HSBC,they did charge me for overdue payment,but did refund me when i complained,but the mth after they reduced my credit by £2000. The second time i was lucky as the day i rang them about that mths missing statement i was told it was due that day & if I paid it in at a HSBC bank before 3pm it would be OK, luckily our local HSBC is only up the road from me. Ive just done a BT to pay off this card & am going to close it A.S.A.P.
  • mac456
    mac456 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    cheers guys,

yeh i made the payment by my hsbc account, but it was at 20:30pm, what is likely to happen?
  • mac456
    mac456 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    just quickly rang em anyway, and they said it wont show up on the credit card, but the system knows that it has been paid!

so im happy now :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family