Keep in Company Share Plan or Put into Save-To-Buy

Options
Hi,

I am chewing over a decision and wondered if MSE had any useful input.

The first batch of my company share plan holdings have reached the end of the holding period and are eligible for me to cash in £900 ish tax free. The share plan is my main method of building a deposit to buy a house.

I have a save to buy account with nationwide which I am putting a token £50 per month into whilst we pay down our debt to 0.

My dilemma is I am tempted to cash the shares in and put the proceeds into my S2B account to bolster the balance. A 'real' cash balance looks more attractive than nominal share value which can rise or fall in line with the market.

However the shares are returning roughly 9% in dividends and the price has not changed materially in 18months. The dividends get put 33% debt, 33% saved, the rest goes in tax.

Any thoughts?
Budgeting CC balance £0
MBNA 0% [STRIKE]£1312.50[/STRIKE] £1212.50 1/12
Nationwide Loan [strike]£19000[/strike] now £10114 27/51 £193.46 Overpaid
Barclaycard 0% b.t. [STRIKE]£8966[/STRIKE] now £7928 4/30
Hitachi capital - [STRIKE]£899[/STRIKE] 05/2013 Uncle - [STRIKE]£1145[/STRIKE] 03/2013 /Dad - [STRIKE]£3k[/STRIKE] 12/2012
was £28,738 - now £19254 33% of the way there:j

Comments

• Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Holding the shares of a single company is risky. What happens if your dream house buying opportunity comes along when the shares are at a low point.

I used to have some BT shares worth £15 each. I still have some of them, now worth £2.40

Should I have sold them?
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does the company share plan give you a discount on the market price? If so then pay into it and then sell the shares as you get them to make the guaranteed gain. Then put the proceeds of the sale into your house save-to-buy account.
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Or split it sell some and keep some put cash raised into the cash account.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • Th1984
    Th1984 Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    Yer,

There is a substantial discount if you hold them for 5 years. I am leaning towards sale.
    Budgeting CC balance £0
    MBNA 0% [STRIKE]£1312.50[/STRIKE] £1212.50 1/12
    Nationwide Loan [strike]£19000[/strike] now £10114 27/51 £193.46 Overpaid
    Barclaycard 0% b.t. [STRIKE]£8966[/STRIKE] now £7928 4/30
    Hitachi capital - [STRIKE]£899[/STRIKE] 05/2013 Uncle - [STRIKE]£1145[/STRIKE] 03/2013 /Dad - [STRIKE]£3k[/STRIKE] 12/2012
    was £28,738 - now £19254 33% of the way there:j
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Vortigern wrote: »
    Holding the shares of a single company is risky. What happens if your dream house buying opportunity comes along when the shares are at a low point.

I used to have some BT shares worth £15 each. I still have some of them, now worth £2.40

Should I have sold them?

Better selling them now than when they were at 65p a share not so long ago!

I'd certainly take the security of money in the bank over single company shares now that they are tax free.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @somethingcorporate - thanks for the reply, but it was a rhetorical question!
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Vortigern wrote: »
    @somethingcorporate - thanks for the reply, but it was a rhetorical question!

As was my response. It's all relative and to do with timing and we were both alluding to the fact the value of shares can go up and down with quite some volatility.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Th1984 wrote: »
    Yer,

There is a substantial discount if you hold them for 5 years. I am leaning towards sale.

This leaves me a little confused as to what plan. If it is a sharesave then they are tax free from when you buy them and as soon as they are bought, usually at a discount to the rate 3 or 5 years ago, then you can sell immediately.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marvin wrote: »
    This leaves me a little confused as to what plan. If it is a sharesave then they are tax free from when you buy them and as soon as they are bought, usually at a discount to the rate 3 or 5 years ago, then you can sell immediately.

My share scheme is a SIP.

You buy them tax-free but should you sell them before 5 years you are then taxed. Dividend shares are tax free for 3 years (again, if sold, I am taxed - not sure how this works with dividend shares).

So after a 5 year period I have batches coming through as tax free. I would have gained quite a lot because of matching shares + income tax/NI saved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure