Next Step Beauty Academy Complaints Thread

Options
Hi all,

I recently had a big problem with this company. I paid for a beauty course a sum of £238, they cancelled it, and refused to refund my money, They told me I could travel 4 hours to get to an alternative location, OR, do another course in 1 month (however their T&Cs provided for them to cancel these courses ad infinitum!)

I was within the distance selling period of cooling off, but they claimed I had accessed valuable course materials on their student portal, and their T&Cs provided an exclusion in this circumstance.

I then met a lady on a beauty course I booked with another company, who had also suffered as Next Step cancelled her course and as she was pregnant and was too emotianally worn out to keep trying for a refund,she had given up.

I reviewed them before parting with any money, and all the reviews seemed ok. However, after having problems I googled "Next Step Beauty wont refund" and found many reviews where people have had the same problem, including an article in the daily express.

A lot of these reviews are removed though, and 5* reviews appear in their place. I thought by starting this thread, genuine people who have had problems could reply on here, and we could help each other.

My concern is, that many people simply give up after a few attempts, and this company get to keep hundreds of pounds of money that doesn't rightfully belong to them.

I eventually got a refund after reporting them to Trading Standards, and going down the legal route.

Please post here with relevant comments or complaints or pm if you like I will respond and help as soon as I can.

SFG x

Comments

• Penny-less_2
    Options
    There was an article by the Daily Express - The Crusader column - about this company for treating a customer in the same way. I would not believe a word they say.
  • superflygal
    superflygal Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    Options
    We would be delighted to talk to you about this further should you wish and welcome you to call us directly or drop and email and wish you all the very best in your career.

Regards

Next Step Beauty[/QUOTE]

Thats strange, when I phoned you to do exactly as you just suggested, you weren't so "delighted". I clearly recall being told that "this conversation is just going round in circles, I am not going to refund you" and you slamming the phone down on me. This was a conversation with Director Denise Arpels.

You told me my course was cancelled because there weren't enough people on it.

There was no material on your "Student Portal" to access, So I was unable to "start my course" when I told you this, you couldn't offer a reason why you wouldn't refund me and just said you would "speak to the "it" people".

You still refused a refund despite me claiming as was my right under Distance Selling. You made me so stressed and upset, I feel upset even now just replying to you.

I just want to warn other innocent people before they type their card details into your website.
  • superflygal
    Options
    Penny-less wrote: »
    There was an article by the Daily Express - The Crusader column - about this company for treating a customer in the same way. I would not believe a word they say.

I think this is the newspaper Article you refer to PL:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/355000/Sue-sees-ugly-side-of-beauty-training

xx
  • juicyl
    juicyl Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the warning! I was considering doing a course with Next Step Beauty. Not any more!
  • Mags_cat
    Mags_cat Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, we are very sorry to read your comments.

<snipped>

Regards

Next Step Beauty

You cannot post here on behalf of a company without permission. See the site rules.
  • Penny-less_2
    Options
    Reported this company earlier for the same reason.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We continue to work with trading standards and other bodies to ensure we comply with all legislation

I hope you comply with Trading Standards and legislation better than you comply with this site's rules.
  • superflygal
    Options
    juicyl wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning! I was considering doing a course with Next Step Beauty. Not any more!

Its a pleasure! Good luck finding a good course!:j

SFG x
  • Penny-less_2
    Options
    Next Step Beauty's post telling us how wonderful their customer service is (!!!!) has now been removed by mods.Well done MSE! :j
  • superflygal
    Options
    Thanks for reporting them dear MSErs!!

SFG x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business