BT charge for Caller ID?

in Phones & TV
12 replies 1.7K views
Last 2 months Bt charged £1.48/month for caller ID service....

After speaking to 5 different people I found that..
''Eventhough it is a free service, if you dont make any calls with BT,you will be charged with this''

Easy solution is to make two calls which is less than 10p and avoid this charge???:o :o:o

Anyhow BT agreed to refund the money finally!!!

Replies

• edited 28 March 2011 at 3:07PM
    HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 March 2011 at 3:07PM
    BT will charge you £2.70/month (£8.10/quarter) for Caller Display if you don't make 2 chargeable calls per month (if you're billed monthly) or 6 chargeable calls per quarter (if you're billed quarterly).

Similarly, BT will charge you £1/month (£3/quarter) for 1571 if you don't make 2 chargeable calls per month (if you're billed monthly) or 6 chargeable calls per quarter (if you're billed quarterly).

However, inclusive calls (e.g. the free weekend UK 01/02/03/0845/0870 calls of up to 60 minutes each available as part of the Unlimited Weekend Plan) count as chargeable calls - so Caller Display and 1571 will be absolutely free to those making the necessary number of calls at the weekend.

N.B. Those who normally use a CPS calls provider just have to dial a 1280 prefix to send an individual call out via BT (but 1280 does not work if you use AOL, Orange, Talk Tak, Sky Talk as your CPS calls provider).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • BexTechBexTech Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Last 2 months Bt charged £1.48/month for caller ID service....

After speaking to 5 different people I found that..
    ''Eventhough it is a free service, if you dont make any calls with BT,you will be charged with this''

Easy solution is to make two calls which is less than 10p and avoid this charge???:o :o:o

Anyhow BT agreed to refund the money finally!!!

Yes, this has been known about for many many months, warnings had been given on here, there have been many threads and BT had published the fact.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    So, that's either 2 x 5½p calls (11p) or 6 x 5½p calls (33p) if you make sure those calls are evening or weekend calls of less than an hour to UK 01/02 numbers. These can be the same 2 (or 6) calls.

In summary, the cost of both (not each) is 33p per quarter.

Worth mentioning that you can get another 20% off by making this number your Friends and Family Bestfriend...

Regards
    Sunil
  • fiendishlycleverfiendishlyclever Forumite
    462 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I got caught out by this for the last 3 months - I've raised a complaint with BT since there is no information on any of their online information that refers to this.

The indian call centre rep I spoke to was of little use - apart from removing the service from my line and entering my complaint on the system.

I object to BT's sour grapes because I've taken my business to a cheaper provider (Talk talk - since all my family are on talk talk I don't pay for most calls).

I'll see what their customer services (and possible customer retentions team if they annoy me) have to say! Will keep you informed.
  • gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got caught out by this for the last 3 months - I've raised a complaint with BT since there is no information on any of their online information that refers to this.

I object to BT's sour grapes because I've taken my business to a cheaper provider (Talk talk - since all my family are on talk talk I don't pay for most calls).

The information is on their website and would also have been on the 'Update' booklets that come with your bill.

In addition, the T&C of BT Privacy (i.e. free caller display) have always stated that you needed to make some calls via BT to get called id for free - all BT have done is clarify exactly how many calls and charge you if you don't meet that requirement..

Regards
    Sunil
  • hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K Posts

The indian call centre rep I spoke to was of little use - apart from removing the service from my line and entering my complaint on the system.

I'll see what their customer services (and possible customer retentions team if they annoy me) have to say! Will keep you informed.

I think the BT deal is reasonable after all if you moved your line rental to Talk Talk they would charge £18 a year for caller display.
  • euglycaemiaeuglycaemia Forumite
    595 Posts
    Heinz wrote: »
    BT will charge you £1.75/month (£5.25/quarter) for Caller Display if you don't make 2 chargeable calls per month (if you're billed monthly) or 6 chargeable calls per quarter (if you're billed quarterly).

Similarly, BT will charge you £1/month (£3/quarter) for 1571 if you don't make 2 chargeable calls per month (if you're billed monthly) or 6 chargeable calls per quarter (if you're billed quarterly).

So, that's either 2 x 5½p calls (11p) or 6 x 5½p calls (33p) if you make sure those calls are evening or weekend calls of less than an hour to UK 01/02 numbers. These can be the same 2 (or 6) calls.

In summary, the cost of both (not each) is 33p per quarter. But PLEASE don't use 1571.

My workaround is to have the number of my local Indian takeaway (which doesn't open until 6pm) programmed into one of my DECT phones with a 1280 prefix. I easily pass the 6 calls per quarter threshold!

Inetrestingly BT refunded £3 into my account after arguement!:o :o:o
  • Inetrestingly BT refunded £3 into my account after arguement!

Must be running scared and losing custom.

Lets hope so.
  • BexTechBexTech Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    BritBrat wrote: »
    Must be running scared and losing custom.

Lets hope so.

Yes, it wasn't a great move by BT.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    BexTech wrote: »
    Yes, it wasn't a great move by BT.

They want refund it again.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides