PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Great 'Are you a re-user - what items do you reuse for max value?' Hunt

Comments

• I use newspaper to line my food waste bin as the biodegradable ones are so expensive. Like others I use old supermarket bags to line my pedal bin. I recycle free return envelopes by putting a sticky label on them. I have read on here too about people usung old cartons as postcards for postal competion entries.
    Happy comping!
  • Oh I forgot a couple

the button box is an old danish biscuit tin and a very old tin I inherited from my grandmother (not sure of the original contents!)

I saved a load of plastic pots with green snap on lids which had held baby puddings (fruit puree thingies) when I was nannying and now I use them for portions of grated cheese (weigh it out currently as I'm following Slimming World) and making jelly in - make 6 pots from one Hartley jelly crystals sachet

Carrier bags - like another user said they get used to gather rubbish in or to collect rubbish together in the car on longer journeys

Decent cardboard boxes (from online orders etc) get covered and used for storage or gifting in

Gosh there's more than I thought
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • Use the back part where it is not written/printed on for shopping lists -easier to find in a handbag as commented earlier - and where the picture is suitable size or can be trimmed, use that for next year's gift labels. Hole punch a corner and thread used (or other) gift ribbon through it. Hope the charity collectors of old cards don't object!
  • hummingbird
    hummingbird Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2013 at 1:15PM
    I also use the backs of Christmas cards for making shopping lists etc.

Supermarket carrier bags are used as liners for the smaller bins in the house and for collecting small amounts of weeds if I'm having a quick few minutes in the garden.They also come in handy for wrapping paperwork etc that I want to keep away from other items in my work bag.We have lots of uses for them at work too so I donate some there.

I have cleaned up ordinary food tins to use as penholders - they look lovely and shiny with the label off and polished up.

Have refilled spray bottles with my own vinegar water cleaning solution.

I have reused stamps that come through without being franked (There are a surprising number of these!!!)

Will think of some more and add them:money:
    £10 a day extra in May '18[B]£35/310[
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £500/£2500 = 20%
    You can find my diary here:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5189836:beer:
  • Jars and wine bottles get rinsed out and used as tealight/dinner candle holders for my flat.
  • kids9698
    kids9698 Posts: 17
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a de-humidifier in my home as my house is too well insulated and I don't like opening windows in the winter as I get cold.
    I use the water that it collects to flush the toilet with as I am on a water meter.
    I also re-use plastic packaging when I buy clothes. I use it for keeping wet stuff (flannels, swimsuits etc) away from dry when packing on holiday, storing shampoo etc in when I pack, just in case it spills in transit, as make up bags...
    I re-use sweet and chocolate tins for storing household things and first aid/medicinal things.
    In the past I have re-used polystirene packaging to insulate outside pipes etc so they don't burst in winter. Alot cheaper than buying pipe insulation!
    I also re-use old christmas and birthday cards by cutting them up and turning them into gift tags.
    I also re-use wrapping paper.
    I re-use old toothbrushes to clean little nooks and crannies in the house.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I re-use boxes from Lidl and Aldi to carry my shopping in (saves paying for carrier bags).

And then I re-re-use them to pack items I've sold on eBay.
  • Toilet paper ha ha! :rotfl:

No seriously, not a lot. I try and recycle everything I can via recycling pick-ups and centres but other than using newspapers in the woodburner and sharing magazines amongst friends, I will endeavour to:

Re-use jam jars for homemade jam and as bankies
    Keep the big tins of chocolates and biscuits as storage for home baked goodies or workshop bits and bobs

Other than that, nothing is kept and put to another use. :o
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I re-use vitamin containers to store DIY bits & pieces. Helps keep all of the same stuff in one place, making it easy to find. Also comes with a child-proof lid for those who need it.
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 January 2013 at 3:12PM
    Ooooh love this thread!!! Some fab ideas, thanks all.

I do the following:

Wash and reuse Bonne Maman jars for storing buttons, hair clips, whatever - so pretty
    Reuse carrier bags in the bin, never buy bin bags
    Reuse plastic food bags until they wear out
    Keep my favourite mugs for storing pens etc if damaged (or as plant holders if they're big enough!)
    Keep all bubble wrap, jiffy bags etc for posting eBay items
    Refill handwash with cheaper one
    Reuse spray bottles for cleaning with bleach/vinegar
    Cut buttons, ribbons and pretty trims off clothes for my craft box
    Cut up old clothes for dusters/cloths
    Made 2 beautiful tweed draught excluders from a CS skirt and an old pillow filling
    Made cushion covers from old jumpers

I keep anything beautiful or useful! :D
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport