🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Options

Comments

• South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 February 2021 at 8:49AM
    Options
    I'm with NatWest and what bubblycrazy has said is absolutely right. They'll always see the term as the same length, but if you OP enough and keep within the limits you'll eventually run out of money to pay back. Anything £1000 or above and they'll recalculate the monthly payment, £999.99 and you're absolutely fine 😀

Just make sure you space out the payments, so you don't accidentally pay more than £1000 in a short space of time as they'll count it as one payment (they were taking ages to credit mine in the run-up to Christmas, so I got in the habit of sending the next one when I saw the previous one had credited - then they caught me off-guard by crediting one really quickly, so I sent the next one, not realising it had only been 5 days and they've recalculated my monthly payment to £61.90 for the next 20 years 🤦‍♀️ A week apart each time and you'll be fine!)
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • South_coast
    Options
    Just as an extra comment on the above, make sure you don't pay any big amounts close to your standard payment date, so it doesn't get seen as one payment - if your standard payment is £580, don't manually send them any more than £400 a week either side of that payment date

• Sholly
    Sholly Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 February 2021 at 11:12AM
    Options
    Just as an extra comment on the above, make sure you don't pay any big amounts close to your standard payment date, so it doesn't get seen as one payment - if your standard payment is £580, don't manually send them any more than £400 a week either side of that payment date
    Oh thank you! I was going to add the £999.99 to my regular payment thinking that the £580 would be kept separately to the £999.99 - so much to think about!! I'll wait at least a week then and check online that the figures have changed before paying the next one. How do you pay your extra payments? Just on the lump sum overpayment part of their website? I noticed it said it accepts credit cards so I was hoping to use my Amazon card for the points - if I use it to pay the £7.5k, I'll get 1,875 points - 1,000 gives me a £10 Amazon voucher - and every time I pay £999.99 I'll get 249 points so I'll be earning a £10 voucher every 4 months (I'll easily make up the missing 4 points!) - it's all adding up! Off to check my Amazon T&C's...!
  • South_coast
    Options
    Ooh, I didn't know you could do it by credit card - I could be earning Nectar points 🤣!

I always do it by Faster Payment from my internet banking:

(use your account number as the payment reference)

• Sholly
    Options
    I bet the Faster Payment would be far more convenient than paying by credit card! The credit card option is on the payments section of the dashboard - there's an option to pay by credit/debit card or from a NatWest account if you have one. They don't accept Amex though unfortunately - I have an Amex and that would've given me £9.99 per month in cashback.
  • bubblycrazy
    Options
    Yes mine is set up as a payment on my online banking making it really easy to OP small amounts as well as large. 
    What a good idea to use a card to earn points.

I knew I'd read it happening to someone recently but I couldn't remember who @South_coast, that must have been frustrating! 
    MFW - Original balance 28/08/2014 £52850
    Original MF date: 2049:eek: Aiming for: 2025 Current MFD: 2030
    Balance 27/07/2016 £49990
    Balance 08/07/2017 £47999
    Balance 30/07/2018 £44500
    Balance 01/08/2019 £40700
    Balance 03/09/2020 £37619
    Balance 30/09/2021 £33983
  • South_coast
    Options
    Yep, especially as the interest is still the same and is now 1/3 of the monthly payment 🤣! Just makes me more determined than ever to OP!

• Sholly
    Options
    bubblycrazy said:
    What a good idea to use a card to earn points.
    I'm not completely sure that the points will work, but I can't see anything in my T&C's that says it won't. I'll give it a go next week and report back!
  • Sholly
    Options
    Yep, especially as the interest is still the same and is now 1/3 of the monthly payment 🤣! Just makes me more determined than ever to OP!
    It must be an amazing feeling to see that outstanding mortgage at 4 figures! I've subscribed to your diary to keep me motivated
  • South_coast
    Options
    Blimey, now I feel like I need to post something motivational....😮🤣!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure