It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Sholly
Sholly Posts: 269
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 8 January 2013 at 12:09AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
I like doing the impossible. Or at least trying it. It motivates me and, to be honest, I like to prove people wrong!! It's not that I'm argumentative (much ;)), I'm just determined.

I'll just set the scene, if you don't mind. I'm 18. My friend is 19 and wants to buy a house. I have my own dream to buy somewhere but I have no money so, for the minute, I'll just nab one of her rooms. So we go into an estate agents and they treat us like we're 5. They just don't want to know. I hated that feeling of being laughed at. Like they were giggling to each other as we left. My friend is now 28. She hasn't bought anywhere yet, maybe they put her off, but, not me; it just made me more determined and I started saving like mad! Weeks before my 21st birthday I became the very proud owner of a 3 bed upper flat. I paid £86,500 for it but I love it! So that was 2007, a matter of months before the banks crumbled. I sometimes think that if I'd waited a few months I could've got a great deal but the reality is that I probably wouldn't have been granted a mortgage at all.

So, enough of the past. The situation as it now stands: as of mid-December 2012, I owe £71,100 and I have a debt of £6,000 (0%). I've cleared a large amount of debt (I was paying more in bills/childcare than I earned) so far but I don't know what it was at it's height. I am aiming to be debt-free (£6k credit card debt) by Christmas 2013. I'm being mega-strict and eBaying, Music Magpie-ing so much that I start to think that maybe I don't need a bed, or doors, or sofas but then I remember that I do have some basic human rights!!!! Once this debt has been obliterated, I'll then be focussing all of my efforts on paying off my mortgage. My aim is to have it paid off by 30.06.18 (my son's 10th birthday).

My dream? Security. That's it. I want to feel that what I have is mine. I've worked hard for what I have and the thought that someone could come and take it all away terrifies me. I want my home to be secure for myself and for my son (I'm sure he'll feature in this diary at some point!). I want him to see me going to work everyday and working hard so that we can have a comfortable life. I've dreamt about the day that we owe nothing and I can see it being a goood day! That day, I want to take him to the travel agent and book the most amazing holiday (okay, so one more dream!); I want to take him on safari but I also want to help to build a school (or houses etc) whilst we're there so that I can ensure he values what he has and knows how lucky he is.

Anyway, if you're still reading, thank you! Please feel free to contribute to my journey and keep me sane when I'm eating brown rice and peas just so that I can make that tiny overpayment!!

Sholly x

Comments

• Lois_E
    Lois_E Posts: 2,227
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Sholly and welcome to MFW. :wave: You have such a great can-do attitude. :T

Do I gather you're on your own with your son? Always nice to meet another single parent MFW. I read lots of diaries, but I always include some lone parents so I'm not the only one doing this MFW on my own with kids. You may like to follow nattypants's diary, or skint_spice's, or pammyj74's, or mine. (Mine is here.)
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
  • Sholly
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2013 at 11:35PM
    Lois_E wrote: »
    Hi Sholly and welcome to MFW. :wave: You have such a great can-do attitude. :T

Do I gather you're on your own with your son? Always nice to meet another single parent MFW. I read lots of diaries, but I always include some lone parents so I'm not the only one doing this MFW on my own with kids. You may like to follow nattypants's diary, or skint_spice's, or pammyj74's, or mine. (Mine is here.)

Thank you so much for your post Lois - much nicer than talking to myself!! I'll subscribe to your thread and the others that you mentioned.

It's hard to remember that we're not the only ones sometimes, isn't it? But if I'm ever struggling with my challenge, he helps me to remember why I'm doing all of this. How old are yours?

Yes, technically I fall into the single parent category - I have a boyf but we don't live together at the minute and don't have any plans to yet. Having said that, he's got the same attitude to money so when/if we do live together in the future, we'll both be on board. He's fantastic with my son so it takes a lot of the pressure off me.

Really looking forward to reading about your journey

Sholly x
  • Hi Sholly, your opening post really moved me. Good luck with everything.

Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Sholly
    Forumite
    Hi Sholly, your opening post really moved me. Good luck with everything.

Tilly

Thank you for your post Tilly, it really means a lot :)

Good luck with your journey too

Sholly x
  • I know what you mean about not being taken seriously. I tried to buy an Audi from a garage once and as I didn't look the part they basically said they hadn't got the car I wanted and they'd call me. Never did!
    When we were looking for our current house a lot of estate agents assumed we were time wasters as we looked scruffy (we both have to look smart for work so like to chill at weekends!).

We had the last laugh though as we spent our money elsewhere!
    Slow progress is better than no progress.
  • Sholly
    Forumite
    (we both have to look smart for work so like to chill at weekends!).

We had the last laugh though as we spent our money elsewhere!

Why not!! We work hard, we're allowed to chill out!!

There is far too much emphasis placed on appearance, like you said though, they lost out. Did you still get the Audi? I bought a new car in March last year - I fell in love with it!! But I didn't rush into it and managed to get it for a good price...but this is where my £6k debt has come from so I'll love it more when it's actually paid for!

Sholly x
  • Sholly
    Forumite
    I woke up in a great mood this morning, not much sleep last night...I think I was too excited about my new diary! I suppose I'm excited as it marks the beginning of the end of my debt.

I had a clear out of all of my DVDs at the weekend and was going to sell them all to Music Magpie but thought I'd try eBay first; I made so much more than Music Magpie were offering. The ones that didn't sell will still be going to MM anyway. I also took some clothes to Cash for Clothes. Total made: £53.06. :) As soon as I've got the money in my bank, it'll be going straight on the credit card.

I also had some savings (I save £10 a week for holiday spending money...but it's needed elsewhere now) but my debt was £6,107.54 so I paid £108.54 onto the CC to take my total to UNDER the £6k mark!!!!! :j Total debt now £5,999.00.

I'm thinking of switching my bank account to First Direct as it sounds like they do all of the hard work and they pay you £125 for the pleasure...hmm, will have to look into this a bit further.

Have a good day

Sholly x
  • I ended up getting a mini convertible, which I hated as the roof kept leaking! Went for a ford Ka next as I walked to work and didn't need anything powerful but then changed jobs and needed something sturdier so we've now got a Skoda Yeti!
    Slow progress is better than no progress.
  • Sholly
    Forumite
    I ended up getting a mini convertible, which I hated as the roof kept leaking! Went for a ford Ka next as I walked to work and didn't need anything powerful but then changed jobs and needed something sturdier so we've now got a Skoda Yeti!

I've got a Mini Convertible! minus the leaky roof!

Sholly x
  • Hi Sholly :D

Love your enthusiasm! Well done on your first flat!! :T You must have saved like mad! I'm saving as much as I can, no debt, but seemingly not quick enough for OH as he wants to buy a house yesterday! :p

I've a diary too if you want to read my ramblings in trying not to spend money!! ;):o

I would recommend First Direct by the way. I switched to them a few months ago and it was sooooo easy!!! They're great on the phone. I'm more an internet banking person rather than phone, but even that part of it isn't bad! I've got their e-saver (to avoid £10 monthly fee) and their regular saver (8% interest on up to £3600 in 12 months), plus got the £100 switching bonus too.

Gonna follow and see how you're doing if that's ok!! :)

*subscribes*
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport