Help - EMCAS PPI claim company threats!!

Options
In January 2011 I contacted EMCAS to reclaim PPI on 3 historical loans we had with Lloyds, they sent us an agreement which we were very reluctant to sign, but they kept hounding us to reply & sign an agreement, we stupidly did so but after a telephone call to Lloyds they said we could put a claim in ourselves & cut out EMCAS. I did so by a call to EMCAS who told us our records would be deleted & Lloyds have a record on their system to 'revoke all authority to EMCAS' & deal with us only. I also got rid of their paperwork last year as I thought the matter was closed, so nothing to refer to!! Now EMCAS are sending us threatening invoices & letters, phone calls etc demanding 25% of the claim plus VAT, or they will take us to court for work we cancelled, but because we did not put in writing they are now claiming no phone call was recorded to cancel the agreement & by law we should have put in writing (something we weren't told to do when we called them!) I have contacted BT to see if they can trace the call but as it was over a year ago they cant retrieve!
I feel we are in a NO WIN situation with these parasities who call themselves JUSTICE for money! Before I pay out to these people can anyone give advice???

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    cmay wrote: »
    Before I pay out to these people can anyone give advice???
    You've signed a legally binding contract with these people and have no record or proof of your purely verbal "cancellation"?
    I think you'll have to pay them...
  • cmay_2
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply, not the easiest of answers but I know the most important thing to do in future is to put things in writing!! Just wish we had waited out when all this PPI reclaim came to light & not gone straight to the first claim handler taking 25% to write a letter! & had been given better advice at the time!! A hard lesson to chew on & a shock after all this time.................I just hope more people are aware not to use these handlers now & DIY
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did they make it clear to you that you could complain yourself at no charge BEFORE you signed up.

If not, you have valid grounds for complaint against EMCAS.
  • Mrclaim
    Options
    Hi - Have you paid this bill yet?

If not - I'd suggest you do no such thing just yet...

Even if you have paid, you can get your money back from them (wouldn't that be sweet?)...

EMCAS will have to provide a copy of the call. You need to complain to them (complaints@emcas.co.uk) explaining what you've put in this thread and make clear that you will go to the Ministry of Justice if you're not satisfied...

You can complain to the ministry of justice easily (email consumer@claimsregulation.gov.uk) and make sure that you refer to their CRM number CRM1768) .

You have three years to complain so don't worry about being to late. I wouldn't accept this from these guys if I were you. Good luck getting your money back!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Given the absolute disgrace this company is, nothing surprises me about them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Haka01
    Options
    Emcas train their agents to sell and have an answer to a problem most of them have no experience whatsoever and are trained to a script and have no interest other than trying to get you to sign up
  • rebekka222679
    Options
    Hi - who would people recommend to use for ppi claim back for different credit / store cards. I went direct to the bank for loan ppi claim back. Emcas are also hounding me but after reading the reviews I don't feel I want to sign the papers !
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    who would people recommend to use for ppi claim back for different credit / store cards.

Yourself. You are the best person to do it.
    I went direct to the bank for loan ppi claim back.

So do the same with the rest.
    Emcas are also hounding me but after reading the reviews I don't feel I want to sign the papers !

You do realise that claims companies only put a stamp on an envelope containing the form that has information that you have given them. Typically it is the same form or their version of the FOS form you can get online yourself for free. They post it to the same address you would. The same complaints handlers at the bank/card providers review the complaint and the outcome will be the same. (in worst case, the outcome could be worse if the claims company use a template letter which includes fake reasons which are easily refuted - some do).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    I dealt with a case from EMCAS earlier this year. It was forwarded to an IFA that I work for.

I spoke to their client on the telephone. He told me categorically that he had been assured by EMCAS that the adviser, a personal friend, would not be adversely affected by putting in a complaint to the adviser.

I cannot prove that EMCAS actually said this. However, it is not true that if a CMC puts in a complaint to an insurance company the adviser will not be adversely affected. If they work for the insurance company, the complaint will be placed against their personal record at the Financial Conduct Authority. If they do not, it will be passed on to the original firm that sold the policy which will record it on the adviser's personal record at the Financial Conduct Authority.

If the adviser owns the business then he will have to deal with the complaint himself and this will affect his ongoing insurance costs.

In addition, in my experience, EMCAS regularly fails to provide any evidence to support its assertions. This is a breach of the Conduct of Authorised Persons Rules, issued by its regulator.
  • Elainecity
    Elainecity Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I put a few different claims in with emcas, and 1 I didn't sign as I went straight to the bank, they now say I owe them but different reference numbers mean different claims right, what should I do as they were both with the same bank
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure