Whole 3 Bed house carpet & floor quote

Hi,

We are buying a 3 bed new build and have been quoted £3,700 from Allied carpets to fit 3 bedrooms, 2 flights of stairs and langing with 80/20 twist carpet, plus berryfloor laminate downstairs in hall and living room, with vinyl in 3 bathrooms.

I know its a rough guide but does this sound good? I have no clue!!:confused:

Comments

• ruthyjo
    ruthyjo Posts: 483 Forumite
    I think this sounds quite pricey. When we moved into a three bedroom house about six years ago we had landing, hall, stairs, three bedrooms, living room, two bathrooms (yuk) carpeted in 80/20 wool twist by a local independent for around £1K fitted. (Actually come to think of it the little bedroom was a refit from the previous house...). Your quote seems a lot to me. I would try independent retailers if you can.
  • Joannag_2
    Joannag_2 Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We had a largish lounge 80:20 carpet from allied for £800 last year. He told us not to spend so much on the bedrooms as they would have less wear so we had a cheaper carpet for 4 bedrooms for £600 total! We got these from carpetright and downloaded a voucher from their website for 10% off.
    We also found underlay is loads cheaper from B and Q but if you are buying a new build you may not have time to go and put it down before the carpet fitters..hope this helps! JO
  • Loobysaver
    Loobysaver Posts: 764 Forumite
    That sounds quite pricey to me. I don't tend to use the big chains for carpets and stick to local tradesman/suppliers for carpets.
  • In my experience, Allied carpet fitting price tends to be more expensive than most.
  • MKwife
    MKwife Posts: 787 Forumite
    Allied Carpets will totally rip you off!!!!

We had a quote from them, and Carpet Right that it would be 1300 pounds to do our hall, stairs and landing, and our loft. Ended up getting it all for 675 pounds from a small private company.

Allied carpets quoted 200 quid for gripper rods. We went to B&Q to see how much they were there, and we worked out it would have costed us 50 tops for all that we needed.

Avoid them seriously.
    Our dream has come true... :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family