We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Twitter, nasty blogs?

2»

Comments

  • nelie
    nelie Posts: 1,568 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    topsy73 wrote: »
    I got the same and foolishly did click the link but it took me to a bt not found page...hopefully on my iPad nothing has been compromised x

    You've got an ipad you'll be fiiiiine ;)


    Ive had a few on various things from different companies. Always give them a message to let them know :) xxxx
    December Wins: £300 worth of board games, £500 Tesco Vouchers Best Win in 2023: £500 Tesco Vouchers
  • Svenena
    Svenena Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I just had a suspicious tweet that was replying to an RT of mine. There was a t-i-n-y-u-r-l link in the tweet and was malicious and from @Lorrie5u0rw8.

    Didn't realise there were malicious tweets going around ... have had dodgy DM's in the past.
    Think I should change my password (again) or will I be ok?

    Some accounts have obviously been set up to spam people - easy enough to tell, as if you look through their tweets, they are usually very new users and have not sent anything except spam with link. These should be blocked and reported.

    However if someone has clicked on a similar link themselves, they can start sending out these tweets automatically and may not realise - I've had some from followers who I don't know, but I can tell are legitimate users (usually compers) from their posts. Rather than reporting them for something which isn't their fault, you should let them know their twitter account has been breached (see below) and how they can fix it.

    In terms of being breached, it's not a case of their account being 'hacked' or their password being known, it's that by clicking a link they have allowed a twitter app to access their account and post on their behalf. This is where the tweets/DMs come from. They need to disable the app, by following the instructions in the article I linked to in my previous post.

    NEVER click on these links yourself - you should follow the same principles you would if you received an email which looks a bit suspicious. Remember, even if looks like it's from someone you know, if it looks like something they wouldn't say, they're probably not the ones saying it! :eek:

    (Just to note - tiny url is a site which allows people to shorten links to enable them to post on twitter without using up their character limit. I haven't used it myself, but I believe you can use it to shorten links to any site (including this one!), so that's not suspicious in itself, and it's not a dodgy site.)
  • Thanks Svenena, I have done what is suggested in the link you posted. Thankfully I didn't have any apps listed.

    I thought Twitter automatically shortened links, so there's no need to use tiny url?
    #TeamCarter :heart:
  • Zanzib
    Zanzib Posts: 5,376 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Always a good idea to change your password if you think you've had a problem...
  • Omg what will scammers think of next!
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,068 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Svenena wrote: »
    Some accounts have obviously been set up to spam people - easy enough to tell, as if you look through their tweets, they are usually very new users and have not sent anything except spam with link. These should be blocked and reported.

    However if someone has clicked on a similar link themselves, they can start sending out these tweets automatically and may not realise - I've had some from followers who I don't know, but I can tell are legitimate users (usually compers) from their posts. Rather than reporting them for something which isn't their fault, you should let them know their twitter account has been breached (see below) and how they can fix it.

    In terms of being breached, it's not a case of their account being 'hacked' or their password being known, it's that by clicking a link they have allowed a twitter app to access their account and post on their behalf. This is where the tweets/DMs come from. They need to disable the app, by following the instructions in the article I linked to in my previous post.

    NEVER click on these links yourself - you should follow the same principles you would if you received an email which looks a bit suspicious. Remember, even if looks like it's from someone you know, if it looks like something they wouldn't say, they're probably not the ones saying it! :eek:

    (Just to note - tiny url is a site which allows people to shorten links to enable them to post on twitter without using up their character limit. I haven't used it myself, but I believe you can use it to shorten links to any site (including this one!), so that's not suspicious in itself, and it's not a dodgy site.)


    Thank you for posting this. Very helpful. I always delete the spam e-mails notifying me of a direct message but I am not sure what I should do with the DM that shows up in my twitter in-box as I always find it a complete faff to find the person that has spammed me and block them. and also to delete the spam message from the twitter inbox in the first place! I'm wondering whether it is just best to ignore?
  • Rafiky
    Rafiky Posts: 13 Forumite
    i get quite a few of these spam messages, just dont open them, delete the message, i also tweet the persons account and tell them to change their password
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.