Aim in 2013

Options
It's been a terrible year for a lot of Aim commodities stocks, many are down 50-90% down. I have a bit of a collection going now that I've been able to pick up hopefully near their bottoms. Here is what i have;

XEL, GKP, RRL, BEM, AGQ, RRR, POG, ENRC, BLVN, CAD.

I think is fair to say buying these kinds of shares is a punt that can bring big losses and as well as big potential gains.

Hopefully the much beaten up juniors will have a much better year in 2013.

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Of those, I only have BLVN and only a small amount.

I think Beacon Hill (BHR) could be a buy now under 3p, but then I thought the same when it was 5p - down 45% so far! In reality 2013 will be the year when it either secures its future or goes under and it's a straight gamble.

I have more faith in Victoria Oil & Gas (VOG) on which I'm down nearly 20%, but has great potential. Depends on whether they get the funding they're looking for to expand to enough customers to properly break even, and whether they win a court case to do with how much of the gas they actually own.

I agree, the only certainty is that junior oil/ gas/ mineral companies are not for the faint-hearted :D
  • lvader
    lvader Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I originally baught BLVN for just over a £1 and sold at around 150p, i baught again recently at 64p. I'm keeping an eye on the Falklands oilies, I made a small loss on DES last year and could rebuy at a much lower cost than what I sold at.
  • MOUNTY
    MOUNTY Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    I too have invested in AIM stocks;
    XEL, CEY, AME
    Must admit it is a gamble but better than doing the horses!!
    Some are in for long term but in AIM take any profit asap.:beer:
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    MOUNTY wrote: »
    I too have invested in AIM stocks;
    XEL, CEY, AME
    Must admit it is a gamble but better than doing the horses!!
    Some are in for long term but in AIM take any profit asap.:beer:
    I had MARL (south american gold explorer) from 8p and sold a third of them at 35p and another third at 42p. Didn't catch the top of around 50p, I sold the last third this year at 7p and they're now languishing around 4.5p.

You do need to take profits at some point because a paper profit isn't yours to keep. However if I had 'taken any profit asap' I would have cashed them all out at 10p after 6 months or so. There's no point trying to do that and grab a 25% profit here and there when 50% losses are quite easy to come by.

Despite the higher risks of AIM vs main market, if you like the company (and you shouldn't invest at all without doing research to conclude whether or not you like it), there is no reason to try and grab a quick profit instead of waiting for the real growth expected from your research.

If you want quick profits, trade in main market shares with liquidity. If you want higher risk with massive growth potential, buy and hold small-caps. Trading small-caps is very inefficient due to spreads, the trading costs on the inevitably smaller amounts you're willing to risk, lack of liquidity and lower quantity/quality of information available.
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 1 January 2013 at 10:15PM
    Options
    I own many of those. ENRC is big, big risk but bigger profits

BEM rose 40% in the last two days, flat overall as they are many years from revenue

XEL is probably the nearest to starting profits and paying off their debt. POG makes profits now from gold and iron but also has debts

People just dont like risk, they'll settle for 0.25% from government for more rules to stop business and they charge XEL 14% to invest in oil we need to work.

If people could get a dividend from BP in free petrol from their local station it'd double the share price. They dont want to spend money to pay less / gain more

CEY is the same thing but more extreme. They make alot of money, they give half to government / the people. Yet they face confiscation, do the maths and just letting the business work would pay out more to the people in taxes, etc

CEY is not aim, it is main market just extreme change in fortune. They are a big profitable 'normal' company

In which country does MARL own 500,000 ounces of gold. Is that Argentina ? 10m market cap is laughable. CNR used to be like that but their country is stable
    I own HOC which is a 5% partner apparently
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 January 2013 at 10:23PM
    Options
    I do not own any of these commodities companies above. Bit of the gamble... I prefer to invest in green companies. So I got ACE, EDEN, GOOD and ONE. These kind of shares are fun and even more so of the gamble.

GOOD is most reliable investment due to basing in this country and pay dividends. EDEN is reliant on an approval from the EU which is more likely not to happen than not. And ONE's amount of revenue is unknown since revenue is extremely irregular. ACE is less reliable due to the fact that company is Chinese and sentiment toward Chinese companies on markets is... Poor.

Still, my aim for 2013 in AIM is to invest any new green companies and hope for the best. :)

Cheers,
    Joe
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Chinese companies have fraud problems otherwise sentiment is good. If you are certain its a good business it should gain in time
    Looks a simple idea

Im not so keen on green companies exactly, more efficient less waste as a means of good business.
    Something as simple as public transport is green I reckon, FGP
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    SNRP, CZA (have been bitten by that one), BEM, POG, AMC

CEY - Loved CEY for many years but am sitting on the sidelines atm. Was tempted to put a toe back in when they spiked down to 25p (ish) but am still sitting on the fence.

Most positive about SNRP and AMC (please Lord, it can't go on much longer).
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • lvader
    lvader Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got really lucky on CEY, I had a large holding in CEY and sold for a small profit not long before the huge drop. I still keep an eye on the share price but with the risks involved there are better opportunities out there.
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 2 January 2013 at 12:01AM
    Options
    I reckon CEY are good, every company has risk but this time it comes from envy of success

Top and worst performers of 2012, for me

x4crZ.png
    M9tRC.png
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills