PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help My Dishwasher Is Not Cleaning Properly!!

Options
13»

Comments

• sarah1
    sarah1 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    I use good old white vinegar instead of rinse aid and i works great. :j
  • Penny-Wise_4
    Options
    I use brown vinegar as rinse aid - works just as well. I can get brown vinegar cheaper than white (haven't found chinese grocery store yet :rolleyes: )
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • ladygrey_2
    ladygrey_2 Posts: 374 Forumite
    Options
    just found this thread when searching for 'vinegar'
    can I just ask if the plates carry any vinegary smell especially if using brown vinegar?
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ladygrey - I use white vinegar - and no, there's no smell.

However, since re-visiting this thread, I have to admit my DW is being a pain in the proverbial at the moment. I think it's to do with the fact that the powder drawer doesn't keep all the water out until it pops open. I often open after a full wash to find some or all of the detergent gunked over the plates nearest the powder drawer -whether I use loose powder or tablets. I fear a visit from an over-priced engineer on the books :( Who says Siemens are great :(
  • ladygrey_2
    ladygrey_2 Posts: 374 Forumite
    Options
    thankyou ticklemouse
  • loopylass
    loopylass Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if i still have to put dishwasher salt in my machine as i have a water softener because i have been putting salt in for the past year
    Also do you use vinegar instead of rinse aid and how can you get a nice fresh smell because ive been getting the freshners but they dont last very long
  • loopylass
    loopylass Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone help please :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have a water softener then you shouldn't need to put any (or not much) salt in your dishwasher. Either the manual for your DW or for the water softener should be able to tell you.

Yes I use vinegar.

For the nice smell - I put either half a lemon (or orange) peel in.

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport