We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Argos Texas Hold 'Em Poker Set £3.99 down from £17.99

Options
Cher-Ching
Cher-Ching Posts: 267 Forumite
edited 2 January 2013 at 7:29PM in It's gone, but was it any good?
Happy new year all

Just having a look around and saw this Texas Hold 'Em Poker Set at Argos for £3.99. Have managed to reserve myself one, so not another phantom great price but none in stock anywhere, well not for me anyway! Hopefully other places are the same.

Thought this was a great price for the set, even if you don't play poker the chips can be used for almost any 'gambling' games fun or serious :D

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2701280.htm

HTH

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: Argos hasn't confirmed stock levels of this item, but the offer's probably only available while stocks last, so go quick. It's not available for home delivery, but you can reserve to collect in-store. Thanks to Cher-Ching for sharing this offer.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
28/04/11 - A bad day for shoppers everywhere (Tesco shoppers that is!) RIP DTD :A

Comments

• Middlestitch
    Middlestitch Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Great - just reserved two! Thank you.
  • Sarah7
    Sarah7 Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's no way it's worth £17.99 but the previous price of £8.99 seems more believable.
  • stevegutteridge
    Options
    Reserved mine and just picked it up.

The green felt is a small rectangle and not enough to cover even a small table. It is plain and unprinted. Will probably never user it.

The cards are quite low quality and non standard size (a little too wide I think). Little better than you'd expect in a Christmas cracker. They won't last long. The chips and chip holder are OK. Good enough but not luxury. They don't have denominations printed on them so make up your own colour/value scheme.

Overall I'd say it's worth about £6, so this deal is cheap but you get what you pay for.
  • millypede
    millypede Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Many Thanks.
  • Cher-Ching
    Cher-Ching Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    A similar set is also available at Home Bargains (basically the same thing just different colours) for the same price if anyone can't get it in Argos and also offers 'free collect in store'

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/6289-professional-poker-tin.aspx
    28/04/11 - A bad day for shoppers everywhere (Tesco shoppers that is!) RIP DTD :A
  • Jo_Mc_2
    Jo_Mc_2 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    I reserved this on the morning of the 2nd to collect from Argos by last thing on the 3rd. What a waste of time! Firstly the self service terminal wouldn't accept the reservation number so I had to wait at customer services. The woman there found the reservation but on their system it said the reservation had expired on the 2nd - I had my email on my phone so was able to show her that it said the 3rd but it made no difference as it was sold out. She was unapologetic and said there'd been a few glitches like that earlier in the day.
    Thanks for the Home Bargains link.
  • Wifey1
    Wifey1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Just reserved one to collect at my local store! Thank you!
    Aiming to be debt free by 2014
    Captial One - £392.22 Barclaycard - £482.26 Halifax - £383.52 Student Overdraft - £1500
  • babyx1uk3
    babyx1uk3 Posts: 1,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Picked up one of these the other day, really nice set, really heavy with nice tin to hold it all in.
  • murphy306
    murphy306 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    I got the exact same item in B&M for £1.99 before Christmas
  • Uplink
    Uplink Posts: 246 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2013 at 7:16PM
    Options
    Got mine, but had to argue with Argos that my reservation was for a 3.99 set, not a 17.99 one, which appears to be the price today.

The lady at the till didn't seem to want to help figure out what happened (till said 17.99, catalogue said 17.99, then it's 17.99, not what my reservation email said), but a guy on the floor noticed I spent a little too much time at that till and asked if there's anything wrong, then he corrected the price manually as if it were natural - no questions asked, no investigations, he just said "that's 3.99", typed it into the till, and away I was. Weird.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport