Emergency Service Vehicles & Red Lights

If you are sat waiting at the front of the que, waiting for the lights to change and an emergency service vehicle approaches with lights on etc, are you allowed to go? I have never been sure and this happened today the people at the front of the que waited for the lights to change and kept a fire engine stationary for an extra few mins.

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    You are only allowed to pass the stop line at a red traffic signal when instructed to do so by a police officer.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    This is a case where you obey the law. The EV will be taking a broader view that you cannot see, so moving - supposedly 'out of the way', may do nothing to assist them should they use the opposite carriageway. Stop always, that is their risk to decide - not yours.

If the junction was controlled by a stop camera and you crossed the line, you would rightfully be given points - so, sit tight.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No you're not allowed to go, but personally I tend to use common sense - if I can get out of the way without causing danger or confusion then I'd rather get a ticket for crossing the light than hear that someone got BBQd on the news the next day.

eta: such as by edging forward and left if it's dual and they definately can't get past on that side.
  • withabix wrote: »
    You are only allowed to pass the stop line at a red traffic signal when instructed to do so by a police officer.

Thanks for your reply. Is it right then that you would have to hold up an ambulance or fire engine, if there was no where to go? Ie you had to cross the line on a red light to give them access.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    if theres no camera and its safe to move then i do
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    Basically no !

As above the only time you are allowed to go through a red light is on direction of a uniformed police officer.

It doesnt matter if they have blue lights and sirens on .... a red light is a red light, goibg through one and you get seen then you could well end up being prosecuted and get points.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • muckybutt
    Thanks for your reply. Is it right then that you would have to hold up an ambulance or fire engine, if there was no where to go? Ie you had to cross the line on a red light to give them access.

In a word yes.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    You wait until the lights change to green.

It is up to the emergency vehicle to find another way or wait.

They are committing a traffic offence when running a red light as well and are liable if they cause an accident.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • muckybutt
    withabix wrote: »
    You wait until the lights change to green.

It is up to the emergency vehicle to find another way or wait.

They are committing a traffic offence when running a red light as well and are liable if they cause an accident.

They are also taught not to pressurise drivers into going through red lights. If a ats is on red they should turn sirens off leaving the blue lights on, then when the lights change they can then recommence the sirens and continue.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This was lifted from the North Wales Police website - http://www.north-wales.police.uk/advice__support/emergency_vehicles.aspx
    Remember: Emergency vehicle drivers are specially trained and have exemptions to the law that you don't have, so you must not go through red lights or speed to allow them to pass.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure