Arghhh! My husband has gone! Help!

Can someone please advise
Last week my husband left me. I have 3 children aged, 1, 6, & 9.
I have a mortgage. My husband will pay CSA.
I don't work as I was medically discharged from the RAF this year. We decided I would stay at home until the youngest started school.
I do receive a pension of £600 a month and child benefit.
Would I be entitled to any benefits? I can't afford my mortgage.
Thanking you in anticipation.

Comments

• Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Forumite Posts: 6,251
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This website should give you some idea of any benifits you may be entitled to:
    http://www.entitledto.co.uk/aboutus.aspx

Hope your life improves soon x
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Forumite Posts: 15,426
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    get a claim in for child tax credits - you should get aroung £165 per week
    youe pension will be counted as income so would wipe out any IS or JSA payment
  • embob74
    embob74 Forumite Posts: 724 Forumite
    Just so you know...any maintenance payment is not taken into account for tax credit purposes so the more you can get the better!
    I have to say as a single, working mum I was pretty well off financially - it might be worth speaking to a lone parent adviser at the Job Centre as to what help they can give you to find work and childcare and give you estimates of the income you could receive x
  • benefitbaby
    benefitbaby Forumite Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    get a claim in for child tax credits - you should get aroung £165 per week
    youe pension will be counted as income so would wipe out any IS or JSA payment

Whilst the pension is above the OPs personal applicable amount her relevant motgage/home loan has to be added to the applicable amount, this may give entitlement to Income Support via mortgage interest help (SMI).

With the above in mind I advise a claim for IS (love parent) because if even £1 of entitlement exists this will passport to full council tax benefit, maximum child tax credit and free school meals and prescriptions/dental etc.

As you were medically discharged from RAF, if you have continuing ill health you may want to see if Disability Living Allowance is applicable.

You may want to speak to an adviser at CAB/similar for full advice.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Forumite Posts: 11,618
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    For some support/advice you could perhaps forge a link with a SSAFA advisor?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Forumite Posts: 19,183
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 1 January 2013 at 11:39AM
    Let the council know who is resident as it sounds like you should now get the single adult discount 25% on your council tax before any council tax benefit that you might be entitled to.
  • exarmydreamer
    exarmydreamer Forumite Posts: 603 Forumite
    Is your pension tax free, because of discharge?. If it is, it does not count in the assessment of most benefits. Mine doesn't but it depends on which pension you were on (new or old).

Get in contact with the Veterans Welfare, You'll find them on the internet and also get in contact with the Royal British Legion. These organisations are their for you.

Contact CAB and see if you can reorganise payment plans for anything outstanding (debt wise) and speak to the council about a rebate for single person council tax.

Good luck, I was medically discharged from the Army in 2007.
    Mortgage: Aug 12 £114,984.74 - Jun 14 £94000.00 = Total Payments £20984.74

Albert Einstein - “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”
  • exarmydreamer
    Veteran's Agency:

Service Personnel & Veterans Agency
    The Shrubbery
    Birmingham Road
    Kidderminster
    Worcester DY10 2BY

01562 825527

Albert Einstein - “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”
  • exarmydreamer
    OP, just thinking, it may be worth you going over to the Debt Free Wannabe thread and post a Statement of Affairs. They are lovely over there and will advise you of the best way to cut down on your outgoings.

Please do not pay any bills which are solely in his name, they are not your debts. Speak straight away to Mortgage company, do you have the ability to have a holiday break from your payments. How many bedrooms do you have?, can you get a lodger in (you get just over £5K, tax free) and this does not effect your child tax credits but will keep your council tax as it is.

Please go over and post an SOA, this is where I normally post, that and the Mortgage Free thread. Private message me if you like, I have been where you are, (sort of).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure