According to the Government, how much can a couple live on a week?

Please can anybody help?
I have been on contributions based ESA for this year and am about to run out of time (365 day rule). In my opinion I will be assessed as fit for work (attended ATOS medical and failed, now waiting for appeal to be heard) but have run out of contributions and been advised that any benefit I claim will be income related.
My husband is self-employed and earns differing amounts each week, so his income is difficult to prove (I don't know what proof the DWP ask for). In fact we struggle to live on his income, the WTC we get plus the ESA I get so don't know how we will manage :(
If I sign on to IR JSA, is the amount needed to live on each week reduced by his income or would I get £71 per week regardless?
I have searched the internet but to no avail. We are both in our 50's, have a mortgage but no children living with us - all flown the nest.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Assuming you do not qualify for any premiums, the applicable amount is £111.45 for the two of you, although there is a £10 earnings disregard on this, so £121.45 in reality. Do you receive DLA? If so, you may qualify for a greater amount.

I've just noticed you have a mortgage - you may qualify for help with the interest after thirteen weeks.
  • von
    von Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How many hours per week is your husband working on average - how many hours per week did he put on his WTC claim?
  • Please can anybody help?
    I have been on contributions based ESA for this year and am about to run out of time (365 day rule). In my opinion I will be assessed as fit for work (attended ATOS medical and failed, now waiting for appeal to be heard) but have run out of contributions and been advised that any benefit I claim will be income related.
    My husband is self-employed and earns differing amounts each week, so his income is difficult to prove (I don't know what proof the DWP ask for). In fact we struggle to live on his income, the WTC we get plus the ESA I get so don't know how we will manage :(
    If I sign on to IR JSA, is the amount needed to live on each week reduced by his income or would I get £71 per week regardless?
    I have searched the internet but to no avail. We are both in our 50's, have a mortgage but no children living with us - all flown the nest.
    Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance :)

You say you are appealing the WCA medical failure, so dealing with this first - have you sent in form GL24 yet? This needs to be done within 30 days of receipt of decision/award notice. Meanwhile get yourself a fit note from your GP to cover you for at least from end date of contributions award end date for 6 weeks. This will ensure that you continue to get the assessment rate of £71/week, which is the same as JSA, so you would not need to go and sign on. Especially since you are obviously not well enough to seek work. And I think you should be able to possibly convert it to income related now. Look at your OH's self employment earnings for year to date http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/tctmanual/TCTM04004.htm gives you an idea of what to include. Also has he made a loss at all in the previous few tax years? If so, he may be able to offset that against any profits for other years? Obviously this will be nearer to end of tax year.
    The WTC credit is for a couple based on them working between them appox 30+ hours per week. So your OH needs to be doing at least those amount of hours per week to qualify for WTC. Your net profit from the Self employment and your Cont based ESA will be your yearly income - I assume there is nothing else? DLA does not count if you did get that. Might be worth looking into. Covers mobility and care needs.
    If you can win the appeal and get the income related ESA even if only for the WRAG and not the support group, it will help you to get council tax benefit, which you may even qualify for partly now. Ring up the council tax benefit dept and explain your financial situation to them clearly and ask if you could get any help at present. You might not get much but it never hurts to ask.
    Oh and if the DWP will convert your ESA on appeal to Income related now while in assessment phase, then you could get help straight away with the mortgage as you have an ongoing claim. The 13 week rule only applies to completely new ESA or JSA applications. Currently ESA is indefinite mortgage help, while JSA is 2 year limited. But ESA under UC will be 2 years in due course. Hope this helps you to sort it out a bit better.
  • Wow....thanks everyone for the assistance. I need time to digest what you have presented me with and take the necessary action :)
    Thanks again and Happy New Year everyone :beer:
  • benefitbaby
    benefitbaby Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    sliverman wrote: »
    I've just noticed you have a mortgage - you may qualify for help with the interest after thirteen weeks limited of course to the actual mortgage that was taken out when the home was first purchased and providing that it was a bone fida mortgage.

SMI is not limited to the original purchase mortgage, but also includes any 'relevant' housing costs e.g. secured home improvement loan to ensure a bathroom or kitchen is habitable etc.
  • von
    von Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    von wrote: »
    How many hours per week is your husband working on average - how many hours per week did he put on his WTC claim?

You didn't reply to my question, my point being that if your husband works 24 hours per week or more which I assume he does then you won't be entitled to Income-Based JSA or Income-Related ESA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure