Final Salary Pension

Options
Hi

I have got a Final Salary Pension with my current employer which I have had since when I started back in September 2001

I am currently ill off work where I have been since Feb 2012

After long discussions with my employer they have kindly offered me the chance of voluntary redudancy/compromise agreement instead of Dismissal, this will happen Feb 2013

May I ask what will happen with my pension? Or what should I do?

Just to note I wont be returning to work in the near future due to my illness

Any help would be much appreciated
Work hard play hard......

Comments

• Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2012 at 1:42PM
    Options
    First of all how old are you and are you looking at taking the pension if your age allows if you can't take it I don't think you got a lot of option my FS pension was pulled from under our feet some years ago and we were transferred into another scheme I pay 5 percent and the company does as well every month the company also puts money into the final salary pot which is froze to cover its shortfall.
    You FS pension will be froze if you don't/can't take it.
  • webbo1981
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    First of all how old are you and are you looking at taking the pension if your age allows

Thank you for replying

I am 31 which regarding a pension is very young, do I have to just leave the pension until I am 65?

• Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    As it stands you can't get at it till your 55 and then you will get a vastly reduced amount than if you leave it till normal retiring age
  • webbo1981
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    As it stands you can't get at it till your 55 and then you will get a vastly reduced amount than if you leave it till normal retiring age

Ok thankyou, I assume I do nothing for now then

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your pension won't be frozen. It's just that you wont be able to pay any more into it. But it will continue to grow till you take it whenever.

Just forget about it, it will be a nice bonus in the future.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Y

Just forget about it

Metaphorically, yes. But in practice wouldn't it be wise to alert the scheme to changes of address?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • webbo1981
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Metaphorically, yes. But in practice wouldn't it be wise to alert the scheme to changes of address?

Assuming I move of course? :)

• FLAPJACK
    FLAPJACK Posts: 524 Forumite
    Options
    If they are offering you redundancy due to you being away from work due to illness, perhaps you can apply for accessing your pension through ill health.

If your employer accepts that (with medical evidence) you are unable to continue in their employment.....which sounds as if is the conclusion already, then you would be paid your pension right away....some schemes even enhance the pension to what it would have been had you carried on in their employment until retirement age had been reached.

The latter is only payable if it is medically stated that due to your illness you are unlikely to be fit enough to work again in any profession.

Worth a try though.
  • webbo1981
    Options
    Thankyou for your help Flapjack, appreciated

• rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    Options
    FLAPJACK wrote: »
    If they are offering you redundancy due to you being away from work due to illness, perhaps you can apply for accessing your pension through ill health.

<snip>

The latter is only payable if it is medically stated that due to your illness you are unlikely to be fit enough to work again in any profession.

You need to ask the pension administrators about this. Call them asap.

My (private sector) FS pension scheme makes provision for me to get my forecast pension if I can't do my own job due to ill health. This can be reviewed if I take up other gainful employment or improve significantly, but the requirement to trigger ill-health retirement is just an inability to do my current job for the forseeable future.

If your medical condition is ongoing then you can probably access some sort of benefit like this as they are common in FS schemes. It does depend on your condition being ongoing and not temporary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure