Query about low income and PPI

Hello,
I am in the process of applying for a PPI refund for my credit card which I got back in 2002. Thinking back, I do not recall being fully briefed about PPI - which I believe is one mis-selling factor.
But also, I had a job which was low income - would this also qualify as a mis-selling factor? :question:

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thinking back, I do not recall being fully briefed about PPI - which I believe is one mis-selling factor.

It can be on advised cases but on non-advised cases it may not be(which is 99% of PPI complaints - FOS have said just 0.2% of cases they deal with are adviser cases). How did you buy yours?
    But also, I had a job which was low income - would this also qualify as a mis-selling factor?

No.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2012 at 1:15PM
    AmyWho wrote: »
    But also, I had a job which was low income - would this also qualify as a mis-selling factor?
    No, you obviously afforded the payments.
    Not "recalling" being fully briefed (ten years ago) is not a complaint reason either unless you have evidence that you weren't provided with policy details when you signed for it. You can be certain the Bank will have your (signed) evidence to the contrary.
    Look for other reasons or your complaint is very weak.
  • AmyWho
    AmyWho Posts: 13 Forumite
    Hello Dunstonh and Moneyineptitude for your feedback,

Moneyineptitude, cheers for making me aware that this a duplicate thread- I have tried to delete the duplicate thread and keep this as the running one (so as to avoid confusion) but no joy.

*Dunstonh- I obtained my Credit card face-to-face.

*Moneyineptitude-I am finding it hard to remember the ins+outs of the conversation with the Customer Service Advisor at the time.
    I believe it was something that was upsold to me and I was not fully aware of what it entailed (the cost over time).
    As you say, the Bank will have evidence to the contrary so I guess there is no point in me even applying.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AmyWho wrote: »
    But also, I had a job which was low income - would this also qualify as a mis-selling factor? :question:
    Low income no. This may in fact show that you had a greater need for it.
    However, if you were working less than 16 hours a week you would not be eligible for PPI.
  • AmyWho wrote: »
    *Moneyineptitude-I am finding it hard to remember the ins+outs of the conversation with the Customer Service Advisor at the time.
    That's really not surprising more than ten years after the event!
    You really need to look for far stronger complaint reasons than those you have mentioned if you want any chance of a successful complaint.

roonaldo wrote: »
    However, if you were working less than 16 hours a week you would not be eligible for PPI.
    Part time work is not necessarily the same as low income, of course.
  • AmyWho
    roonaldo wrote: »
    Low income no. This may in fact show that you had a greater need for it.

Cheers Ronaldo. I understand.
  • AmyWho
    *Moneyineptitude-
    Yep, it is hard to remember. I went in to open a Bank account and it was then suggested I get a Credit card (which was a whole new concept to me-I had never had a credit card before) and in addition to this, I was sold the PPI (again a whole new concept for me)! I was young and to be honest, didnt have a clue as to the long term consequences of having a credit card and PPI. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure