No cases available for iPod Touch 5

Options
I went out today to buy the above to replace my old Nano. I was at the Apple shop in Covent Garden. A member of staff told me (in response to my request) that Apple had still not made the new cases available even though the product was released in September. In comparison cases for the new iPhone were available straight away.
I have since seen cases on Amazon but have been told by a friend that the quality is poor.
I will not buy one until I can get a decent case to protect it.

Comments

• jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 December 2012 at 10:24PM
    Options
    I ordered one from Warner Bros in America. It was for an iphone 5, but I looked at the comparisons on youtube with the iPod touch 5th gen and the dimensions were almost identical. Even though the phone is a bit thicker than the ipod it still fits fine. I only ordered from the US because it was one my daughter wanted.
  • hellokittygal
    Options
    Ebay do lots!
  • jackieb
    Options
    This is it. Sorry for the poor photo, it was taken with the laptop camera! It looks like the case covers the camera lens on the iPod but it doesn't, think it must be a shadow. Everything is fine when you take a photo with it.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=58198241&postcount=2864

So if you get an iPhone 5 cover it should fit.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ebay do lots!

I'm a bit old fashioned in that I prefer to be able to touch and feel something before buying it. Once I have seen one, I will order online if it isn't too big.
  • jackieb
    Options
    The one I got isn't loose. There's a rubbery foam around the inside edge so it would fit either/or.

Won't they let you try an iphone cover in the Apple shop?
  • Abbafan1972
    Options
    I have had the same problem!

I got my Ipod Touch 5th Gen about 3 weeks ago and I ordered a case from Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281012643884?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 this is the one and it arrived. The case itself was good quality, but it has a plastic surround that the Ipod touch clips into and mine wouldn't fit properly, it keep popping out. I couldn't risk my ipod dropping on the floor and breaking, so I notified the seller and he very kindly refunded me without me having to return it. They do the same sort of cover on Amazon, so beware.

There doesn't seem to be any leather or leather look wallets where you slip the ipod behind the leather so it can't slip out.

Not long after I was in HMV Xmas shopping and I spotted a silicon gel case for £7.99, so I got that instead.

I haven't been into the Apple shop recently, but their website doesn't have any covers for their own products, mainly just those stupid armbands! There is an Apple reseller in my local town called "Stormfront" or something and even they don't have anything. :(
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    Options
    Its not really Apples fault, they don't manufacture their own cases for all their products, they don't have their own cases for the iPhone 5. It is up to the accessory manufacturers and they most likely find iPhone 5 owners be a more lucrative market.
  • chewynut
    Options
    It's not quite the same, but my dad got an iPod Shuffle and I don't think they do cases for them at all because they're supposed to be tough enough by themselves or something.

After looking around, I got him a little sock intended for mobiles and a simple purse with a zip at the top and no compartments inside. The purse is ideal and it's decorated like a mouse so he actually liked it too :o
    'til the end of the line
  • StrongWork
    Options
    First world problems.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jackieb wrote: »
    The one I got isn't loose. There's a rubbery foam around the inside edge so it would fit either/or.

Won't they let you try an iphone cover in the Apple shop?

I haven't tried. My reply about touching/seeing was to the suggestion that I order on eBay. I saw iPhone covers in the Apple shop but didn't pick them up as I assumed that there was a significant difference. I will look next time i go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure