Galaxy and Sharan/Alhambra 1.9 diesels

wazza
wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
I am looking at large mpv's. Looking at 2003+ models. Was wondering if the 1.9 diesel unit fitted to the ford galaxy is the same as the vw sharan/seat alhambra 1.9 diesels. I have noticed PD next to vw/seat models and assume that it is a vw unit and the ford's is their own unit. Am i correct?

Which brand would you recommend? I know all these models were assembled on the same production line.

Are they fitted with the dreaded DMF?

Would i be better with a petrol version? My annual mileage would be around 14k.

I would probably stay away from the 2.8 unit but may be tempted by the 2.3 petrol unit.

Are the auto boxes on these models reliable?

Thanks in advance for any info given
Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D

Comments

• We used to have a few 2.8's. In Ghia or Ultima spec. Used to do about 18mpg.

2.3 is quite nice. Got enough power and quite refined.

The 1.9TDi is the VW unit.

ShAlhambrAxy...
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2012 at 8:42AM
    I did 140,000 miles in 3 years in a 1.9 diesel Galaxy from new.

The only big bill I got was for a clutch, flywheel and CV joint replacement.

Tyres used to be a bit pricey, but reinforced sidewall tyres are a bit more common now. Watch out for ones fitted with the wrong (non-reinforced) tyres though!

Spare wheel is underslung on a crank and wire rope - the mechanism WILL be seized and the only way to get the spare off is by cutting through the wire rope!! I had FOUR replaced under warranty. If the spare is in the back of the car, you know why!

Go for a 130PS engine if you can.

Some interior trim is flimsy - speaker grilles in the back WILL probably be smashed - they are at foot height!

Watch out for taxis!

Common problems listed here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/galaxy-1995/?section=bad
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The 1.9 tdi is a vw unit which has been used extensively in Audi,Vw, seat and Skodas it comes in 4 different power outputs 90,110,130,160 BHP. if looked after properly these engines will last a long time why do you think so many skodas and vw are used as taxis. I dont believe that they have a DMF nither do they have a DPF. I think the main things to look for are the clutch, cambelt changes and if they have been serviced
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have a 1.9TDI Alhambra which gives 40-50mpg but there are several different versions with the same engine size. The 130bhp version is quite nippy.

Unless you do a low mileage, the petrol ones will prove very expensive to run, IMO.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    malky39 wrote: »
    The 1.9 tdi is a vw unit which has been used extensively in Audi,Vw, seat and Skodas it comes in 4 different power outputs 90,110,130,160 BHP. if looked after properly these engines will last a long time why do you think so many skodas and vw are used as taxis. I dont believe that they have a DMF nither do they have a DPF. I think the main things to look for are the clutch, cambelt changes and if they have been serviced

The 1.9TDI also came with 105 bhp and 115bhp and the top one was 150bhp rather than 160 although that one was relatively rare, I don't think the Sharan offered the later 105bhp version or the 150bhp unit. All the 1.9 TDI's have a DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) but none of them have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), I'm only mentioning the expansion of these terms in case anyone else is reading and not familiar with them.

The 1.9TDI engine is a bit rough sounding but fairly well proven and fuel economy is good, the 130bhp is a good option as it has a decent amount of power and torque plus the power delivery is reasonably smooth. I had the 90bhp and 150bhp versions of the engine, the first up to 110,000 miles and the second up to 50,000 and no problems with either engine.

John
  • I've had 4 of these, all diesel. The first was a complete dog, the last three were fine apart from the "standard" stock faults. If you're considering buying one, please check the following:

Aircon-expensive fault.

Water leaks from pipework to rear wiper.

Booster heater, used to heat the cabin on cold days.

Spare wheel holder, as previously mentioned.

Drop links.

Also, try this site:

https://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk
    zayt nisht meshugge
  • dodo69
    dodo69 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We had a new Ford Galaxy 1.9 Tdi (115 bhp) six speed for two years (2002 - 2004) - worst car we have ever had. It was like painting the Forth Bridge when one thing was fixed another appeared. Most exciting was wife returning from work one afternoon with smoke belching out from under the car giving the impression it was about to go on fire. Switched it off and googled answer to be failure of secondary heater system! Removed the fuse and smoke stopped. Replaced with a wonderful Mazda MPV that never missed a bat in six years with not so much as a light bulb needing replaced. With the Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharon it seems good ones (and yes there are some tend to get kept and the troublesome get moved on. And yes unless you are only doing small miles per year any petrol will be hard to run/sell on.
  • oliverr
    oliverr Posts: 418 Forumite
    If it were my money I would go for either the Sharan or the Alhambra, choosing the 1.9 TDI engine because with those miles, a petrol engine would cost a fortune, both to tax and in fuel.

The Sharan and Alhambra are identical, bar the badges of course. The chances are the Alhambra would be cheaper, because Seat's don't hold their value as well as VW's despite the cars being identical.

I would choose one with lower mileage and one with the full service history, whatever is cheaper out of the Sharan or Alhambra. Hope this helps a bit.
  • mkirkby
    mkirkby Posts: 279 Forumite
    oliverr wrote: »
    If it were my money I would go for either the Sharan or the Alhambra, choosing the 1.9 TDI engine because with those miles, a petrol engine would cost a fortune, both to tax and in fuel.

Ditto. Ford replaced bits of the vehicle with substandard parts. One example is the central locking locks which can result in non-opening doors on the galaxy
  • tony6403
    tony6403 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What Car Magazine has had the Alhambra as the number 1 best buy MPV throughout 2012. Though this is the latest model.
    Forgotten but not gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport