Save haven for savings with access without penalty - HELP!

Options
I am currently saving with ING. Its very convenient because it's online. It's easy to use and has been very good - just like Egg was before it - BUT!

The 3.1% (gross) savings rate will be coming to an end in a couple of months and will be going down to 0.5%.

I cannot possibly consider keeping my money with any organisation that is paying this pawltry amount of interest.

I need to find a similar sort of arrangement where I can transfer freely between my current account which is with HSBC and an online savings account but the savings account must have a realistic interest rate.

The money also has to be safe - I don't want an organisation that is going to go to the wall and not give me back my money.

The sum of money I am talking about is well below the £85,000 guarantee amount.

Can anyone suggest anything?

I also save with the Nation Wide in a e-savings account that pays 2% - the trouble is if I make too many withdrawals I get penalised. I keep money here that is not going to be used straightaway but access is still a priority.

I understand that there as another society that NW took over sometime ago that gives a more favourable rate with easy access - does anyone know which one it is and which account I am thinking of?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ING is anything but 'safe' because - until the takeover by Barclays completes - your money isn't guaranteed by the FSCS scheme. Instead it's some dutch scheme.

But leaving that aside, for less than £85K and full FSCS protection, there are currently several 3% AER alternatives. Just check out the board a bit more and you'll most likely soon find something you might like.
  • Shanker
    Shanker Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    ING is anything but 'safe' because - until the takeover by Barclays completes - your money isn't guaranteed by the FSCS scheme. Instead it's some dutch scheme.

But leaving that aside, for less than £85K and full FSCS protection, there are currently several 3% AER alternatives. Just check out the board a bit more and you'll most likely soon find something you might like.

Innovate -

The Barclays takeover is another reason for shifting! I don't particularly like them either!

Can you point me in the right direction for these 3% rates?

I have looked at the organisations suggested by the MSE website and the best online easy access so far is Marks & Spencers but that isn't anywhere near 3%.

I never seem to be able to pinpoint these deals despite searching for ages - I have to rely on others like yourself.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you point me in the right direction for these 3% rates?

I can't find them either.:(

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1583859/Best-savings-rates-General-savings--Internet-branch.html
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Santander 123 current account.

Lloyds TSB Vantage current accounts.

Bank of Scotland Vantage current accounts.

Jump through an easy hoop and collect 3% interest.
  • Shanker
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Santander 123 current account.

Lloyds TSB Vantage current accounts.

Bank of Scotland Vantage current accounts.

Jump through an easy hoop and collect 3% interest.

Thanks for those - although I think I'll avoid Santander - too many bad reports.

I think the only problem with LTSB and Boston is that you have to go through the procedure and complication of opening a current account (which is the vehicle for transferring from outside accounts), which you don't have to do with the likes of Egg or ING.

It's a crying shame that these organisations are seeing fit to reduce their rates so drastically. They must realise they are going to lose a lot of customers - why the he'll are they doing it?
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shanker wrote: »
    Thanks for those - although I think I'll avoid Santander - too many bad reports.
    Not from savers, you won't find any bad reports from them about Santander.
    I think the only problem with LTSB and Boston is that you have to go through the procedure and complication of opening a current account (which is the vehicle for transferring from outside accounts), which you don't have to do with the likes of Egg or ING.
    Boston?
    The account opening is a one-off inconvenience. If you don't want to get 3%, or occasionally 4% like many did a month or so ago, then of course it's not worth the inconvenience. Crafty savers jump on the chance to open any number of accounts that currently pay 3%.
    It's a crying shame that these organisations are seeing fit to reduce their rates so drastically. They must realise they are going to lose a lot of customers - why the he'll are they doing it?

Where will all those customers go that they lose?
  • Shanker
    Options
    Boston - sorry about that - should be BoS.

Damned predictive texting!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want the best rates, you have to

a) keep your eyes open - banks often withdraw them fast when 'sufficient' savers have signed up and
    b) be prepared to jump through some hoops.

The most common hoop is the 1st year bonus. A year later you have to switch account (many savers find this 'hoop' too onerous so don't bother)

The Lloyds Vantage 'hoops' are perhaps initially more onerous but are one-off. No need to switch in a year (unless Lloyds moves the goalposts...).

If you can't be bothered with the hoops then.... stop complaining about the low interest rates!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure