Re-Location Allowance

Options
Hi All,

There are currently redundancies where I work and my job has been made redundant. I've been offered a demotion at another site, the role does have a small pay-rise associated with it, however with travel etc I'm going to be on the road an extra 2 hours per day. Am I entitled to a relocation allowance at all?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

There are currently redundancies where I work and my job has been made redundant. I've been offered a demotion at another site, the role does have a small pay-rise associated with it, however with travel etc I'm going to be on the road an extra 2 hours per day. Am I entitled to a relocation allowance at all?

Thanks in advance.

There is no such entitlement. It's up to the employer what, if anything, they offer.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if you can persuade them to do relocation, the first £8k can be paid tax free.
  • Sycorax
    Sycorax Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's no statutory entitlement to travel allowances or relocation payments, it depends what the company policy is...However, if the company does have a relocation policy i.e. they support you to physically move house, then there is an entitlement to an £8k tax free 'disturbance allowance'.

But it sounds like your company doesn't have a policy on relocation or extended travel, if they did they would have made you aware during the redundancy consultation.
    'I think that God, in creating Man, somewhat overestimated his ability'..Oscar Wilde
  • guardianangel
    Options
    Also be aware that this is not a like for like role so if you took it and decided that it was not right you will still be entitled to your redundancy. Ensure you agree a trial period...
  • Sycorax
    Sycorax Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also be aware that this is not a like for like role so if you took it and decided that it was not right you will still be entitled to your redundancy. Ensure you agree a trial period...

Good point, in this situation you are legally entitled to a 4 week 'grace period' in which you can size up the new role. If it's not working out you are still entitled to your redundancy
    'I think that God, in creating Man, somewhat overestimated his ability'..Oscar Wilde
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure