multiple cards advice

Options
Hi,

I hope someone can advise me as to whether I am doing the right thing...I currently have approx £1000 debt on an M&S cc that expires its 0% period in June. I am sure I can meet this debt by then and have paid the minimum amount monthly on time as well as other payments in order to chip away at it. However I have a few things coming up next year that I would like to have another credit card to pay for (family weddings and birthdays, etc). So I was looking to get another cc with 0% interest to pay for these things and then just meet the minimum repayments on this one, whilst concentrating on paying the other off in full before June. If I were to have more debt on my original card I wouldn't be so confident I could pay it off before the 0% interest period, not sure whether this is the best plan as I am getting differing advice on this on how this will effect my credit rating.

Thanks for any response...

Comments

• sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Options
    Regardless of the number if cards, paying only the minimum payment is not a good idea for your credit rating. Always pay more, even if only £1 more

A 0% purchase card is probably right for you but make sure it's paid off before the 0% period ends
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    1000 / 5 months (giving ample time) = 200 a month then save for the other things
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure