ASDA - Incorrect receipt calculation

Options
New here - not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I can't find anything more suitable!

In June 2012, I did my usual weekly shop in ASDA. Generally, I glance down the receipt to check all is well, and on this occasion, I spotted the duplication of 3 items. For some reason, this prompted me to fully check the receipt and whether the total did or did not include these duplicated items.

To my surprise, the receipts total DID NOT match the sum of all items listed (less the various multi-buy discounts etc.) The receipt added up to £73.80. But the till's total was £75.70. When I pointed this out to the store, they refunded the difference. (After three or four people attempted to add it up and all got different answers!)

There has been various communication between me and ASDA, but I am yet to receive a satisfactory technical explanation for the discrepancy. I'm told it's a 'blip'. They have even supplied me with their Till Log/Journal for the transaction, which casts even more confusion on the issue with the presence of two items not mentioned on my receipt!!

Has anybody else ever had a problem like this? How often do you check the addition of receipts? (Or do we all rely on the tills to add up for us!?).

Also, does anybody know the legal position - I thought that a till journal should reflect the customer receipt. Plainly in my case, it doesn't!

Comments

• stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 December 2012 at 6:45PM
    Options
    Did you not dispute this at the time in the store?

Personally if it was me I would have taken everything out the trolley and cross referenced in the store.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • EileenLowe
    EileenLowe Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 26 December 2012 at 6:51PM
    Options
    It wasn't until I got home did I spot the duplicated items; which is what prompted me to add up the receipt. Of course, I went straight back to the store, and they refunded the difference. But in the various correspondence over the last six months, they seem unable to provide a satisfactory explaination for the discrepancy (other than a 'blip')

It's not an issue of what I did, or didn't buy, but why the till could not add up the transaction correctly.

As I stated above, they have given me a copy of the till journal, which DOES NOT MATCH my receipt of the same transaction.

I'm interested to know if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this.
  • stclair
    Options
    What was the price difference in the items?

It happened to me once in tesco they just sent me a voucher for a tenner and apologised.
  • EileenLowe
    Options
    The total of the items listed on the receipt less the various offers, was £73.80. The till added it up to be £75.70 - a difference of £1.90.

It's not so much about the value of the error, but the error itself. Is it a one-off? As I said, how often do you total up the items listed on your receipt? I check the receipt to make sure I've got everything listed at the price it should be, but until June this year, I rarely, if ever, added it all up!
  • stclair
    edited 26 December 2012 at 9:06PM
    Options
    EileenLowe wrote: »
    The total of the items listed on the receipt less the various offers, was £73.80. The till added it up to be £75.70 - a difference of £1.90.

It's not so much about the value of the error, but the error itself. Is it a one-off? As I said, how often do you total up the items listed on your receipt? I check the receipt to make sure I've got everything listed at the price it should be, but until June this year, I rarely, if ever, added it all up!

I totally agree it only might be a couple of pence however over X amount of customers they must be bagging a fair bit out of us consumers.
  • Rachel_123
    Options
    I'm presuming you purchased some form of multibuys, all I can think of is that it hasn't calculated them correctly and that's possibly where the extra is coming from. I imagine even if it prints out the multibuy on the receipt, it might not necessarily take the discount off if programmed incorrectly. Or perhaps you purchased something say on a 3 for £3 deal but the items you purchased cost less than £3 but the till has added on the extra.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    edited 27 December 2012 at 3:33PM
    Options
    I assume that, if you have shopped at Asda since, you have checked receipts since, if they tally then it is either a blip or an error on that till. It isn't across the board as I have just added up a receipt I have.

It isn't good enough and is typical of Asda that they are arguing with you 6 months down the line. Have you emailed Andy Clarke's (CEO) office?

Contact Trading Standards too, if it isn't in their remit they should be able to direct you to the correct regulator.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure