How do i cancel my virgin credit card?!?!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
9 replies 55.1K views
n57602000n57602000 Forumite
534 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Wanting to cancel my virgin credit card but i have no idea and how to do it? doesnt tell me anywhere online or on the phone very clever way of not being able to cancel it lol any help would be great thanks
No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3

Replies

• Dave_®f©Dave_®f© Forumite
    228 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Any time I've cancelled cards in the past I've just written a letter to the address on the statement. I always cut the card in half and post half and throw the other halve in the bin.
  • n57602000n57602000 Forumite
    534 Posts
    Ok i may try that but there must be a way to cancel on the phone or online
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    0800 783 1116 is the closures department number.
  • n57602000n57602000 Forumite
    534 Posts
    tyhank you very much
  • i_love_iti_love_it Forumite
    813 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    They usually ask for cancellation request in writing, I always ask for written cancellation confirmation in the letter, otherwise it may not be closed and the credit limit available could affect your credit score when applying for a new card.
  • DINK1978DINK1978 Forumite
    3 Posts
    Virgin can do this over the phone, they will ask why and try and retain you and if they see you as a profitable customer they will offer pretty good deals on interest rates if they can.:T
  • dazeddazed Forumite
    881 Posts
    DINK1978 wrote: »
    Virgin can do this over the phone, they will ask why and try and retain you and if they see you as a profitable customer they will offer pretty good deals on interest rates if they can.:T

indeed as YB said get that number on the go and said Dave sent you ;)
    Man who stands on toilet is high on pot. - Old chinese proverb.
  • helping_hubbyhelping_hubby Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a balance on the card make sure you tell them you want to pay it in full and any accumulated interest since the previous bill. We paid off hubbys virgin card and cancelled, only to get a bill the following month for £30 odd interest!! And when we managed to pay that off with the additional interest from the few days of the £30, we got a bill the following month with the account in credit by 50 odd pence. Useless.

• Thanks for the number for the closures. They will indeed close the card over the phone but only after they have read out your complete account summary and tried to sell you balance free offers and retail offers etc etc.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides