🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

has anyone else caught a COLD? doh, so much to do as well

Options
I just knew I would catch one when a grandchild came here with the sniffles. Just a head cold but blocked sinuses and a horrible trickle, making me cough.

So now, I have gone from excited whirling dervish to survival mode and am very grateful that we will only have adult visitors staying here. We are all off to dd on christmas day so am frantically working on myself to get rid of this thing. It really does take the shine off :mad:

Comments

• pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi Kittie

My cold started Monday night and despite two days off work, then going in for end of term I still cannot shake it off. My nose/sinus cavaties are seriously blocked and I can't smell or taste anything. If anyone has any tips please pass them on. I'm cooking for eight on Christmas Day and still have the food shopping to do, hoping to feel up to it tomorrow.

Hope you get better soon Kittie.

Pollys
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    polly poor you, cooking for 8 after feeling poorly :eek: that is so hard to organise with a bunged head

Right, I have taken 2 cloves of raw garlic today and 1 last night. They really sting the mouth so I would recommend on a thick slice of buttered bread and not chewed neat like I did. They did get working though. I am also using my neti pot regularly and that contains saline which keeps the nose moist. You can get saline spray from the chemists. Steam and a towel over my head too. All good os stuff, I am trying so hard to get rid before meeting people

Hot bath/hot shower, lots of hot liquids to drink

At least we have a chance of enjoying the days after christmas. I feel sorry for the poor souls who get a stinking cold from tomorrow onwards.
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yes, I have one too! Other half keeps telling me it's because I am over-excited, he could be right after what I have pulled off this week (and he has no idea!) :A:rotfl:.

Thursday I felt like someone was sitting on my head and now I am either bunged up or drizzling everywhere and just feel grotty :(.

Very fortunately, I had wrapped most of my gifts as I went and only had some bits to arrange/cards to write earlier. Online food shop coming xmas eve so just need to get better for the Panto on Monday.

Wishing you all well x

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • qwiksave
    qwiksave Posts: 4,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Another one here with cold/flu like symptoms. I started off with a sore throat and thought that it might turn into tonsilitus, I hate that, it really hurts. But luckily...it didn't. Because of my throat hurting though I didn't eat properly for a couple of days and ended up fainting because of low blood sugar! :eek: (I woke up in the corner of my bathroom with a big bruise on the back of my head wondering where I was).

Now I have a bad cough, am stuffed up and have a hoarse voice.

Luckily, my husband does christmas dinner but I do everything else, really hoping I'll be better for Tuesday - and that nobody else in the family gets it.

Well, you asked... ;)
    I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful
    Marilyn Monroe
  • loulou123
    loulou123 Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Options
    Me too, woke up with mine this morning :(

I've got a 120 mile round trip to see mum tomorrow too - though where I live is slowly turning into a lake, as flooding gets worse, so not even sure if its possible to get to her.

I then have to work 12 hour shift Xmas eve and 6 hours Xmas day, then come home and cook Xmas dinner!

It's far to say I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right now...
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was floored by a simple cold and am better now but just can't shake the dregs of it. It's been weeks.

A number of people have commented that this year's bug seems worse, the cold symptoms seem to go on for ages.

Hope you all feel better soon.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    After a bout of the Noro virus I now too have a head cold and I just want to hibernate :(

Using all my energy I got the last few pressies and the food yesterday so that I can now stay indoors and try to clear this before my family descend on xmas day.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I also have a cold, scratchy throat last night, so up at 4:30 as couldn't get to sleep, after day talking at work have now lost my voice! Off tomorrow and just have to get through work on monday, so hopefully will be over the worst of it before turkey-cooking-day!!
    Hope you are all well and back on our feet soon xxx
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got a cold too. Complete with omnipresent headache that paracetamol doesn't touch, sore cracked lips and loads of highlighter-yellow snot. Nice.
  • Dawny_79
    Options
    Can I join in? I've had a cold for over 2 weeks now and today I woke up with a sore throat too. Just what I need for Christmas!:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport