Options
1234568»

Comments

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 November 2013 at 3:44PM
    Options
    I am an EbiCo customer, low user, of several years' standing, dual fuel below £1k p.a.

Following notification of their price increase [based on my last 2 years' usage, gas kwh>5.57,VAT inc and leccie kwh>17.15 VAT inc.], but no standing charge, I rang to check on fixed term/price comparisons.

Long, excellent meaty discussion with Tom, mse adherent, full of accurate facts, knowledgable on forecast legislation effects and able to change hats for various providers. Even if ill-thought gumment legislation does require all to make a standing charge, it is not unlikely that EbiCo could set theirs at zero pence.

I'm staying put, despite the CEC £116 possible saving via M&S. Reading f/b of others changing does not give confidence. With EbiCo tariff I know where I am.

EbiCo freephone 0800 096 6344.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    With EbiCo tariff I know where I am.
    Paying at least 13% extra unnecessarily. Very magnanimous of you.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ........which 'please be nice to all moneysavers' mismatch seems consistent with your attitude generally. Hapless, but never mind. Accuracy seems not to be one of your weaknesses.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Nada666
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    Accuracy seems not to be one of your weaknesses.
    Nope, you've lost me.
  • donfanatico
    donfanatico Posts: 456 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2013 at 4:33PM
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    Paying at least 13% extra unnecessarily. Very magnanimous of you.

Please explain for those of us who don't understand this statement.

I am really curious, I was on ebico for 2 years and have just applied for E.ON Energy Fixed 1 Year v5 (still in my cooling off period) which came out top of the Price comparisons for my usage.

Ebico used to be cheaper for me when I was low user but not any more as we just had a baby and have now a dishwasher, washer drier and generally consume more. With Ebico we paid around 1100 per annum (including the now higher usage), with EON the price comparison site says it will be around 900.
  • OhWow
    OhWow Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please explain for those of us who don't understand this statement.

I would like to know that too please.

I'm a low user. Spent £562 total last year. I was looking at Ebico because SP has brought in a high daily charge.
  • Nada666
    Options
    Explain what? Know what?

Spend £900 at Ebico, pay £700 at a cheaper supplier.
    Spend £600 at Ebico, pay £520, £540 at a cheaper supplier.

Exact figures depend on mix and region. But unless you have a pathological hatred of direct debits there are only a very small number of customers who would be better off with Ebico.
  • OhWow
    OhWow Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 November 2013 at 9:55PM
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »

Spend £900 at Ebico, pay £700 at a cheaper supplier.
    Spend £600 at Ebico, pay £520, £540 at a cheaper supplier.

Exact figures depend on mix and region. But unless you have a pathological hatred of direct debits there are only a very small number of customers who would be better off with Ebico.

Even with the Standing Charge that is being brought in? I use direct debits but I assumed very low users would be worse off with a standing charge? We only used 2044kw electric last year and 3794kw gas, as we aren't often home and Ebico said that would be £570pa with them.
  • Nada666
    Options
    OhWow wrote: »
    Even with the Standing Charge that is being brought in? I use direct debits but I assumed very low users would be worse off with a standing charge? We only used 2044kw electric last year and 3794kw gas, as we aren't often home and Ebico said that would be £570pa with them.

In my region there are 19 dual fuel tariffs that are cheaper than Ebico for that consumption (including one fixed for the next two winters). Plus there are even cheaper combinations of single fuels from separate suppliers. Some of the cheapest tariffs have standing charges of £70+ per fuel.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 6 November 2013 at 9:32AM
    Options
    We shouldn't forget this is a Money Saving website.

It is perfectly understandable that people like the ethos of Ebico and their simple tariff structure. If, for some people, those factors outweigh a cost saving by using other companies, then again that is perfectly understandable.

However those people should at least be armed with some facts before making a choice.

For instance for various reasons I use BT for my phone and internet, although I know they are not the cheapest - but at least I know the costs involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure