Options
Morning all,

I am in the middle of getting quotes for the house I am about to purchase. Would you mind giving your opinion on the following costings? I live in Herefordshire if that helps....

1) To remove rotten existing porch roof and build new flat roof with felt and UPVC facias
............. £390.00 plus VAT

2) To remove existing asbestos gutters to front and rear, including downpipes. Disposal
and then supply and fit new UPVC gutters and downpipes..... £560.00 plus VAT

3) To install full gas central heating, with radiators to each room and a Worcester Bosch
condensing boiler ................... £3,860.00 plus VAT

4) To re-wire the property, including a new consumer unit, plain white socket and switches.
Allowing for three double sockets and one pendant ceiling light in each room.... £2,900.00 plus VAT

5) To make a new doorway between hallway and kitchen, using two foot six white panelled door,
allowing for lintels and re-plastering ............. £275.00 plus VAT

Comments

• LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    your quotes seem pretty standard pricings....having had most of those type things done recently,and a few others it doesnt appear too far off some of the prices we paid

The only comment I would make might be on the electrical rewire...we too had a quote around your figure initially but it did increase as we realised that potentially we would require extra sockets above 3 in some rooms and different light fittings in other rooms....

its better in my opinion to put in plenty especially in rooms that house lots of electrical equipment ie lounge and also the kitchen...our final bill on electrics turned injust short of £4000 but with hindsight i thought it was better to put everything in that we would need in one go .....

You will probably need to also get quotes on the replastering or possible skimming as once the electrics are chased into the walls you will be left with areas that need filling....again we went the whole hog and had ceilings and walls skimmed at a cost of £1600
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure