How often to submit meter readings (Scottish Power Online)

jonny2510
jonny2510 Posts: 671 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I'm a Scottish Power Online Energy Saver 2 customer, and was wondering how often you're supposed to submit your readings online?

Do you get reminders when they want you to do it?

Are there any advantages in doing it more often (i.e. weekly, monthly...)?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Comments

• Capyboppy
    Capyboppy Posts: 449 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi jonny.
    It can only be beneficial to submit meter readings more often. That way you can keep better track of what you are using. I am just in the process of switching to the online energy saver 3. Although the rates are the same as my version K capped rate, I will save the £15 for managing online. I am also doing it for more managability. Even with my previous rate, I would ring in around once a month with meter readings so it would be updated and I had a better idea of what I was using etc.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    jonny2510 wrote: »
    I'm a Scottish Power Online Energy Saver 2 customer, and was wondering how often you're supposed to submit your readings online?

i submit meter reading online whenever SP as me 2 do so
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    I think you're supposed to submit readings at least once every three months. I find it's easier to remember to do it monthly, which has the benefit of giving a more accurate record of usage - and also means it's not the end of the world if you forget occasionally!:o
    [
  • DoshSaver
    DoshSaver Posts: 53 Forumite
    jonny2510 wrote: »

They send you an email asking you to send in your readings. Around every 90 days.;)
  • tobykim
    tobykim Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry for reposting this I posted it before I saw this thread, I switched a while ago and although I read it and submitted the readings and got a bill the meter reader called yesterday, he told me they still call to read the meter is this normal practice
  • DoshSaver
    DoshSaver Posts: 53 Forumite
    tobykim wrote: »
    Sorry for reposting this I posted it before I saw this thread, I switched a while ago and although I read it and submitted the readings and got a bill the meter reader called yesterday, he told me they still call to read the meter is this normal practice

I’m not certain but I believe the meter readers are agents working for 3rd party companies that read all the meters. As the infrastructure is owned by Transco the companies that administrate the supply i.e. Scottish Power, BG, etc. use these agents to read the meters on their behalf and submit the readings to who ever you are currently with. However, whether they request a final reading when you switch I don’t know!
  • oramgepekoe
    oramgepekoe Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I submit a reading on the first of every month so that I can see what I'm using.
  • bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    tobykim wrote: »

yes, a meter reader will still call (twice a year in my case). Looking at my past bills, the readings are passed to SP, but they don't use it to deliberately generate a new bill.

I submit my readings monthly and a bill is generated there and then while I'm online. SP's own readings only appear to be used for checking purposes. eg. if your own reading is less than their meter reading then something is wrong....

b
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,704 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I submit a reading on the first of every month so that I can see what I'm using.

Indeed, doing so makes their online graph much more useable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure