Need a loan but on benefits

Options

Hi guys i need some help. I was offered a loan by welcome of £2000- but i would like to get a loan of £5000, but the snag is i am on benefits and i have a bad rating on credit but it is nothing to do with me. please can someone help

the money is needed to pay off scottish power and buy a new PC.. oh and possibly a short holiday.

Thanks

Disco

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What benefits are you getting?
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    For what it's worth......DON'T GET A LOAN
    If you already have bad credit then they will hang you for interest and you will end up seriously in debt. Companies don't loan you money for your benefit, they loan it to you for theirs.

This is going to sound a bit harsh, but you know what they say about being cruel to be kind? Bear that in mind....

You don't NEED a holiday, and you definately don't need one paid for at 30% interest!! This is a luxury, sorry, but it is.

Do you REALLY need a new PC? could you get by for a couple of months/years using the one you are using?

And you should be able to contact Scottish Power and agree a payment plan that you can afford on you current income and does NOT mean you need a loan.

I know £5000 doesn't seem like much but you could end up paying back £10000 once you have paid interest on a high rate loan (which is probably all you will get with your credit rating)

There is SO much advice in these message boards about cutting down your costs to make life more affordable. have a good browse and see if you can get by without having to sell your soul.

I wish someone had said all these things to me 10 years ago...
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • joeblack066
    joeblack066 Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Options
    Echo Morty, good advice there.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,335 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    See if you can join your local Freecycle: you could probably get an old but working PC like that, for free.

Please take advice (CAB or whatever) about Scottish Power: a loan to pay them would be a disastrous mistake.
  • susy_2
    susy_2 Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmm
  • katepnlo
    katepnlo Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    out of curiosity...how is your bad credit rating nothing to do with you??
    kate
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    by the looks of a post on another thread, the OP thinks his/her credit rating is down to the previous occupiers of their current address.

OP:
    Have you tried contacting Experian and the other credit comapnies and setting the record straight as to what is your debt and what has nothing to do with you?
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • shakerbaby
    shakerbaby Posts: 413 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmmm I smell fresh troll meat.
  • xgingerx
    xgingerx Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi my sister claims benefits, she is single and has 2 children, dont know what is is called but she regulary gets a loan from the dole, and they take it off her allowances interest free as well !!! she told me she has had upto 900 pounds and when it comes to the end of paying that they renew it with no problems.

I cant get hold of her now as she is away but id speak to the benefits office, this way you get some spending money interest free and taken off your benefits before it even goes in your hand so easy to manage.

Dont know if this is helpful or not but just thought i woulkd share it with you incase :)
    Dmp Mutual Support thread member No 82
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport