Installing an electric shower

This would be a brand new installation, not just putting a new unit in place of an old one.
There is certainly a mains water pipe under the bath, and loft access (although I don't know what the situation is with the electrics in that regard).
What sort of price region would I expect to pay?
Would it be cheaper for me to buy the shower and then get someone to fit it?
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
- Mark Twain
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.

Comments

• Russe11
    Russe11 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    My personal opinion is electric showers are inferior to a high pressure fed mains set up.

The one in current house is a mira play, hardly gets used because the power, volume and consistancy of temperature are all poor.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We are on electricity only; the storage tank with immersion heater doesn't hold enough hot water, and the pressure we get from it is pretty poor.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • fluffpot
    fluffpot Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Can you not get a pump fitted?

The cable for a good electric shower is pretty chunky and expensive and would need to be run from you fuse board to the loft, then to isolating pullcord switch and then to shower. Also if you fuse board is old and /or has no spare ways then you might need a new additional mini board just for the shower. I guess what I'm saying is - it won't be cheap!

Best to get a sparky and plumber in for quote
  • I just bought a house that was mostly stripped out with dated electrics and pipes.

The shower cubicle and shower itself cost me £1500 in cash. This was the cheapest quote I could get and as it is a temporary job until I fit the new bathroom, so no plastering/tiling etc. I wasn't too fussed as long as it did the job.

I also had the place rewired - I think the electrician priced the cable at around £100 ex VAT but I suppose it depends how long you need it, and what shower you want (in terms of power/electricity needed).

Once all this was done, it turned out the water pressure was inadequate. For new pipes from the boundary into the house, I paid about £550 ex VAT.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ouch!
    Looks like an electric shower is out, then. Our electrics are dated (not even an RCD panel - still seems to be fuses) and the cable would need to go from the ground floor kitchen at the back to the bathroom upstairs at the front. I suspect the water pressure is fine, but no guarantees on that front either.
    Probably have to look into a larger hot water tank instead...
    - Mark Twain
  • Naf wrote: »
    Ouch!
    Looks like an electric shower is out, then. Our electrics are dated (not even an RCD panel - still seems to be fuses) and the cable would need to go from the ground floor kitchen at the back to the bathroom upstairs at the front. I suspect the water pressure is fine, but no guarantees on that front either.
    Probably have to look into a larger hot water tank instead...

I should also say that due to the fact I was living in the property without any shower for 5 months, I didn't bother trying to negotiate the price down!

(So I could have paid over the odds out of desperation. )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure