Chanie fabulously looks after her pennies...

Options

Comments

• Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Back to the frugal challenge! You can do it! I don't know how people can live off their cupboards. Mine are bare! Always are.
    Like the sound of the Easter cake competition! You'll have to show us your entry!! X
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We are still doing food shopping, I'm just trying to use up some of the jars and tins we have, before buying more. Our food bill hasn't gone down, as we are still buying fresh food.

I spent £40 in Home Bargains today and had a mini heart attack when the cashier totalled it up. I bought mAinly household stuff, but I ended up buying the children a toy each. I normally don't buy them toys when we are out, but this toy is their obsession at the moment!! I guess this is what brought the total up.

In an attempt to get out more, I'm planning a cinema trip on Saturday morning. Tickets are £2 each, so it's a good deal.

I have another uninfected expense as I popped a tyre on my car as I was pulling over to let the Police through. Annoyed with myself, but I've brushed myself down and back to normal.
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Hi chanie, I've found your diary and subscribed.

I love all your hints and tips for saving money and being frugal.

take care.pwps.x.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • chanie
    Options
    Penny thanks for popping by.

I had a nightmare day today which was another car related incident. After I dropped the children to school/nursery, I went to park the car and the key was stuck in the ignition and wouldn't turn off. I had to drive to the garage and luckily, they managed to turn it off. Now means we have another expense to pay out for. The garage basically hot-wired it and I feel like a criminal when I start it!!!!!

Our cars have done us well, but they are getting old now and I guess we'll have to think of replacing over the next couple of years.
  • chanie
    Options
    updates

I've not long got back from getting my car fixed. The garage is only as couple of miles away, but no direct public transport, so I had a bit of a dilemma about what to do whilst the car was being fixed. It would have taken about 1.5 hours to get home , by which time I'd have to leave to go back!!! There also isn't anything to do locally. Inspiration hit and we took a short bus ride to the local city farm, which was free and enjoyable. The bus drivers ticket machine wasn't working, so I got a free bus ride!!! Someone must be looking out for me, as I was rather stressed this morning and the free bus ride really cheered me up. I knew I might have ended up spending money to occupy me and DD, so I took us some drinks and snacks. I did buy DD a treat for 50p, but it was otherwise a cheap trip

OH's car is going to cost about £300, so 2016 has been a really expensive year so far, what with OH's tax bill, new washing machine and work needing doing on both cars.

Tomorrow, we are going to the cinema to see a cheap children's film and tickets are £2 each. I was going to buy the tickets online, but they wanted a £3 booking fee, so I went to the cinema after I picked up the car. There weren't many seats left, so it's lucky I went when I did!!!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pleased that things worked out well for you today. Time you had a run of better luck:D

I hope you have a good time at the cinema, I really begrudge paying those booking fees too.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • chanie
    Options
    You are kind, maddie

It didn't even occur to me that the cinema would charge a booking free. I refused to book the tickets when I realised.

I also dislike paying postage fees too and will refuse to unless I absolutely have to. Since amazon have increased their minimum spend to £20, I haven't bought anything from them.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chanie wrote: »
    You are kind, maddie

It didn't even occur to me that the cinema would charge a booking free. I refused to book the tickets when I realised.

I also dislike paying postage fees too and will refuse to unless I absolutely have to. Since amazon have increased their minimum spend to £20, I haven't bought anything from them.

Me too,today I added a bottle of shampoo to my order to qualify for free postage and still saved myself £2.21 on the cost of the main item alone plus postage:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • chanie
    Options
    Well done maddie. It's those little victories that make it worthwhile.
  • chanie
    Options
    a frugal cinema trip

We went to the cinema this morning for our cheap film showing. OH struggled with the early morning start, although the children and I were okay.

I took some snacks in my bag -some drinks and crisps, but OH stopped at at shop and bought more snacks ad he didn't realise I had.

All in all, we had a nice time, although I think DD was bored - she's 3.5 and not quite ready to sit through a film yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure