Chanie fabulously looks after her pennies...

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was asked to donate items for the children's Xmas parties at school and nursery and spent £7 as it was short notice.

I've seen a baking class which really appeals to me, as times like this would be the perfect opportunity to bake something - I have baked before, but I don't really know what I'm doing, so the class would be a good opportunity to learn new skills I could build on.
  • chanie
    Options
    Just popping in, although I don't have anything to update at the moment.

I'm at work on tomorrow and then off until the new year. We are going to family on both Xmas day and boxing day, so we won't have to worry about food.

If I don't post before, merry Xmas to everyone.
  • chanie
    Options
    I have made a couple of savings, which I'm going to count from now, as I'd like to start 2016 off in style:

Direct savings

Lush - brought back 5 empty containers and got a free fresh face mask - £6.75

Lidl - spend £50 get £10 off.

Cinema - discounted tickets to see the new Star Wars film - £10.48

Indirect savings

Body Shop - Free shea body butter - £14
    (This is an indirect saving, as I'll regift it).
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yay! Christmas is a good time to 'save' money on purchases. It's funny how now I don't spend money I don't get the savings as much with tesco and boots etc. I've done Christmas pretty much free before but because I don't spend as much through the year I don't get enough. So it is a win but it doesn't feel like it. Amazon need a loyalty card lol x
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • chanie
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean kitten. I remember a few years ago, tesco were doubling up their loyalty points and we got £80 worth of baby toys, which saw us through both children, plus I'm about to offload them onto a relative who is expecting.

I do most of my shopping in Lidl, so don't get loyalty points much either. But, I do have them for shops I go to anyway.

Our outgoings are quite high as we come from quite big families, so for Christmas, we have 20+ people to buy for. As I can't cut down, I'm trying to cut back, if that makes sense. So, I've managed to spend about £10 on some presents, but the rrp was much higher.
  • Kitten868
    Options
    Well done you! It's getting people the value without spending the cash. Are you all done now? X
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • chanie
    Options
    I've worked out that I spent under £200 on presents for 20 people and that excludes OH and the children. I have one more small present to get and then I'm done - just in time to start for next Xmas!!!
  • Kitten868
    Options
    That is amazing! I think we have to accept Christmas costs money. But you're doing amazing. I think you should compare it to last year and add that to your savings :) and inflation! Lol x
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • chanie
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion kitten.

Merry Christmas to everyone.
  • chanie
    Options
    I survived boxing day with a couple of cheeky purchases:

Lush - I thought I'd check out the sale as I haven't been before. I bought some (full price)products which I use anyway and a couple of discounted bath bombs as a treat. I nearly bought a lip stick, but as I have a couple on the go, I was sensible and put it back.

Trousers - I bought some trousers which I've been eyeing up for a while. They were under £10.

Wool -I've been wanting to get knitting again for a while and came across a wool shop in town. I bought some wool to make a couple of scarves. One scarf is for me and the others will be presents.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure