Energy myth-busting: Is it cheaper to have heating on all day?

Options

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,633 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quite right, its obviously going to be system specific but no one can deny that with the right setup energy/money can be saved if you run it efficiently.

Even your non condensing boiler if you reduce the flow temperature once comfort reached and then leave it running double the time you would normally have it running you may see savings.
    Not in my experience. It's a gravity hot water system, so the HW is on whenever the heating is on. THe HW tank is original, but does have two insulating jackets around it. In the winter we have absolutely no shortage of piping hot water! In the summer, with CH off and HW timed, we have just enough for our usage.We have an electric shower and dishwasher, so don't use a lot of hot water.
    It is a very basic boiler, over 25 years old, but just keeps on running with just an annual service at less than £50. I strongly believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 December 2018 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I bought this kit off EBay a couple of years ago for £30:

https://uk.eetgroup.com/i/NQ-9530-EU-NorthQ-Gas-Starter-Kit

It provides me with meter readings taken every 15 minutes. The Loop Energy monitor does the same thing. It takes the argument out of the argument. I know precisely how much gas is being consumed, and I can see that turning off the heating for a short period can result in higher gas usage than leaving it on. For example, when my CH first came on at 7am, 0.5m3/15mins was consumed. Now that the house is up to temperature, consumption has fallen to 0.1m3/15mins. I do turn down my CH set temperature overnight.

If you turn down the temp overnight that in itself debunks the theory that leaving the temperature on a constant temp 24/7 is cheaper. It also confirms my statement that the temp is turned up or turned down as required or alternatively layers of clothing removed or added.
  • thorganby
    Options
    But I've done the maths, I save gas by letting it run low (19c) all day then on evening 21c.

As I've already stated this works for me and others are reporting the same. Do you not think the energy companies want you to use more gas so you give them more money. Not the first time these companies have given wrong advice.

You don't seem to understand the technology when that "industry standard" came out that was a long time ago we are now I'm a different phase of technology.

It is pointless trying to educate Anthorn, whatever he says is fact based on his limited technical knowledge and his simplistic opinions nobody can tell him otherwise, so don't waste your time trying!
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What you're not understanding here is that its not on all the time full blast.

Another way to look at it is having a lightbulb on at 10% brightness 12 hours a day will use less energy than a lightbulb on at 100% 6 hours a day.
    And the point of having the light on for 12 hours if you are only in for say 4 of them, is what? ;)

I guess you leave your lights on all day in the summer too, after all, it's cheaper that way right? :rotfl:
  • lstar337
    Options
    Yes if you reduce the flow temperature thus reducing gas usage...
    My return temp is 50c keeping my boiler in condensing mode, yet it isn't on all day. The two are not entwined.

My boiler is currently on a timer for 2 hours a day, but I doubt it fires much as it doesn't take a lot to keep our house warm.

Sorry richardc1983, but even a building manager cannot beat the laws of thermodynamics.
  • lstar337
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    The fact remains that if I heat my property to whatever temperature when I'm not there it's costing me more money than if it's turned off.
    Smart man. ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    If you turn down the temp overnight that in itself debunks the theory that leaving the temperature on a constant temp 24/7 is cheaper. It also confirms my statement that the temp is turned up or turned down as required or alternatively layers of clothing removed or added.

I run my CH system with the information that I have available to me. I am not out to prove a point. My CH is ON overnight but I accept that it is set to a lower temperature of 16C. Whether you leave the CH at a set temperature for 24/7, or at two set temperatures for 16/8 hours a day, the bit of kit that I have suggested - or equivalent - should give you the evidence that you need to make an informed decision. Homes and lifestyles differ.
  • lstar337
    Options
    But I've done the maths, I save gas by letting it run low (19c) all day then on evening 21c.

As I've already stated this works for me and others are reporting the same.
    So if you left the house for a month, you would leave it on? Because that must save more gas than a month of not heating by your logic.
    Do you not think the energy companies want you to use more gas so you give them more money. Not the first time these companies have given wrong advice.
    So advice to the contrary is now an energy company conspiracy?
  • richardc1983
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    And the point of having the light on for 12 hours if you are only in for say 4 of them, is what? ;)

I guess you leave your lights on all day in the summer too, after all, it's cheaper that way right? :rotfl:

You are so clearly uneducated on this subject...

You talk as if we have the heating left on blasting at 30c all year round... no its set at 21C for example, if it drops below that in summer then yes the heating comes on but the flow temp will be at the minimum sometimes 25C to bring it upto that using minimal gas, the temp is always kept to within 0.1c of set point.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • richardc1983
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    So advice to the contrary is now an energy company conspiracy?

It's already well documented that companies who sell products advise on using a higher amount than is required so you use it quicker.

E.g washing powders, the stated dose is usually much higher than is actually needed meaning it runs out quicker and you go buy more.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback