E: 25/12 ? ADVENT The QI Advent Calendar (cannot enter until 24 December)

Options

Comments

• mryorkshire
    Options
    The Tokyo Tower is red - not black.
    And the steel work is not as detailed as the Eiffel Tower.
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Day 19 - Sydney Harbour Bridge

(Photo is from Hickson Road looking North at Luna Park)
  • Gl3nn75
    Gl3nn75 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I see they have changed the website because before, anyone who knew how to click ctrl + U could see all 24 pictures already. I can guarantee you, the hard part is over.

Nevertheless, I found this thread very helpful. Especially 16 had me going. The Dolomites does make sense with the explanation given here. I thought it was the Pyrenees. Rene being a frenchman's name and pierre... french for stone. Far fetched, I agree, but that was a hard one. Any idea what Val d'... the picture was taken in? Again two possibilities I think?

Could someone convince me that 4 is indeed the Iguazu Falls and not Victoria Falls? The latter makes sense too as Zambia and Zimbabwe are keen football playing nations, and the vegetation also looks very similar to the vegetation in pictures of Victoria Falls.

And finally... 10. The footbridge... I'm torn. I find the same pictures but different names. Two rivers do meet, but the question is... which canyon/river is it really? Which source locates the bridge correctly (or at least: which source did QI use)?

PS: sorry for the long post.
  • One-Eye
    Options
    Gl3nn75 wrote: »
    I see they have changed the website because before, anyone who knew how to click ctrl + U could see all 24 pictures already. I can guarantee you, the hard part is over.

Nevertheless, I found this thread very helpful. Especially 16 had me going. The Dolomites does make sense with the explanation given here. I thought it was the Pyrenees. Rene being a frenchman's name and pierre... french for stone. Far fetched, I agree, but that was a hard one. Any idea what Val d'... the picture was taken in? Again two possibilities I think?

Could someone convince me that 4 is indeed the Iguazu Falls and not Victoria Falls? The latter makes sense too as Zambia and Zimbabwe are keen football playing nations, and the vegetation also looks very similar to the vegetation in pictures of Victoria Falls.

And finally... 10. The footbridge... I'm torn. I find the same pictures but different names. Two rivers do meet, but the question is... which canyon/river is it really? Which source locates the bridge correctly (or at least: which source did QI use)?

PS: sorry for the long post.

For Iguazu Falls click on the Photo link in post #8 taken from just about the same spot. Slight difference is due to a higher seasonal water flow. I am 100% certain it is Iguazu.

For the footbridge click on the link in post #20 and play around with the angle of view and zoom, and click on "open map" on the left hand side (you can zoom the map to see its location with respect to Podgorica). 99% certain on this one.
  • One-Eye
    Options
    Day 20 - Atami (Shizuoka, Japan)

based on the "Hot Ocean" HERE. I can't find a matching photo.
  • Studlea_Phatt_Katt
    Options
    Just looked at both towers on Google Images and the Tokyo Tower does not have the same filigree work that the QI picture has. Tokyo Tower does not have the archway cutouts, nor the 3-pronged, with 2 curly bits, detail (I should have been an architect with my descriptive prowess ;)) below the arches. I agree with Eiffel Tower.

Have you looked at Eiffel Tower of Window of the World, Shenzhen, China?
  • ktcov
    ktcov Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gl3nn75 wrote: »
    Especially 16 had me going. The Dolomites does make sense with the explanation given here. I thought it was the Pyrenees. Rene being a frenchman's name and pierre... french for stone. Far fetched, I agree, but that was a hard one. Any idea what Val d'... the picture was taken in? Again two possibilities I think?

Hi,

I found Val di Fassa has that logo, which is in the Dolomites. Everything then makes sense.

As for the falls, I looked at the pictures before coming to this site and came across Igazu Falls. I didn't think the picture looked that much like Victoria Falls, plus Zambia and Zimbabwe aren't really well-known for playing football. Like you, when I saw that it was on the border, I liked the answer, but I wasn't keen on the ball idea fitting (I'm a big football fan) - not even with cricket or rugby. Brazil and Argentina, however, have two of the best international football teams in the world and have been for years. They both start at a young age and are very talented (and most years successful).

I really struggled to find a photo of the footbridge without this forum, but when I used the link and found more photos of the same bridge, I am certain that this is the one. The bridge looks very different in each photos but I came across one where it was pretty much identical, so I'm happy!

Katie
  • ktcov
    ktcov Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And I also agree that number 1 is the Eiffel Tower (as we are still debating that!). I've just had a quick look, and photos from taken from the bottom show that the colour and architecture are identical. I also think that they wouldn't make number 1 too hard!
  • Gl3nn75
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. They help a lot.

Hint for tomorrow:
    PS: Tomorrow's is easy, but if you need a hint: it's somewhere in Maine.
  • One-Eye
    Options
    Day 21 - Portland Head Light, Maine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Head_Light
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income