Sharp TV on the blink-advice please

My parents bought a Sharp digital tv from Argos last yr around oct/nov time but the sound on the tv has been going off every 5-10 mins which has been happening for about 3 months now. The receipt and guarantee has been mis-placed (possibly thrown away) by accident and after getting in contact with Argos and sharp are told there's nothing they can do. They're at their wits end and as pensioners can't afford to replace it either. My dad has even looked up about the same model and read reports of it being faulty!
Is there anything they can do to get the tv replaced or fixed?
I've always thought of sharp as a good make and would expect it to last beyond a year!

Any help would be appreciated.
Big thanks to all who contribute to the forums. Be lucky everyone and be safe!

Comments

• Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you have not done so, I suggest you post this in the Techie forum on here (say you've been redirected there from this forum).
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Check the remote isn't giving out spurious signals. Have you any CFL lamps in the room?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • wingobins
    wingobins Posts: 20,649 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yorkie1 wrote: »
    If you have not done so, I suggest you post this in the Techie forum on here (say you've been redirected there from this forum).

Ok, will do! Wasn't sure where was best to post it.
    keystone wrote: »
    Check the remote isn't giving out spurious signals. Have you any CFL lamps in the room?

Cheers

No they don't have lamps. Dad seems to think its when they have the heating on but they need the heating on occasionally to keep warm it's never happened with any other tv.
    Big thanks to all who contribute to the forums. Be lucky everyone and be safe!
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Perhaps the IR receiver is just a tad too sensitive and recating to any old stimulus. There's some special tape you can get that effectively desenitises it but for the life of me I can't remember what its called.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure