Astra Timing Belt replacement

124»

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just had the same thing with my 2004 Zafira, Vauxhalls recommend the Cam belt change at 8yrs according to their engineers but my car has only done 34000 miles so I'm weighing up whether to get it done or not.. some people say no way does it need it (low mileage) but the garage where I took it for service and MOT say it really should be done (they would wouldn't they?) and they'll change the water pump at the same time for around £350 so I'm undecided but will probably get in done after christmas as I don't want to risk the alternative.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    colino wrote: »
    Sorry I missed the part that it needed 3 litres of oil. As it is an Astra H and has been run with half of its oil missing, presumably with a collapsed oil filter too, you really need to step back and assess the total condition of the car. That engine isn't going to revive itself and even replacing the chain and tensioners the damage is already done. The bores will be scuffed it will start drinking oil and the rattle is just the start of a money pit opening up.

Whoa! Steady on.. I have a volvo that hasn't had a plug, filter, oil change in years. It still runs fine and I wouldn't be worried about putting more money in. Modern engines are a lot better than old ones. Sure, servicing does indeed help but they do survive better than they used to.

If you ask me, I'd still do a basic service - oil and filter change along with the plugs (actually you could skip the plugs for another year to save cash). While any potential damage can't be replaced, it is doubtful that the engine is fubar'd.

All engines burn a bit of oil. We have a Ka.. a year or two back I checked the oil on it and it was EMPTY. The dipstick was BONE DRY. I put fresh oil in and literally heard it thump the bottom of the sump. That was way back then and the car is STILL RUNNING NOW on the same engine.

Oil is a lubricant. As long as there is still some slippery stuff flowing round the engine should be ok. If a Ka engine can survive with no oil at all, I'm pretty sure that Astra engine will be ok. Vauxhall engines are well made these days. I was driving a zafira in the summer with 530K on the clock so that just proves it.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have a read again before typing. An Astra H with the 1.4 engine needed 3 litres of oil. Any idea of their total capacity and what vital fluid makes the tensioner work? Replacing the chain, tensioners and timing wheels would be the first, costly, waste of time.
  • It has been serviced every year both before he owned it and since but the silly beggar didn't check it in between - won't happen again.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    tanith wrote: »
    Just had the same thing with my 2004 Zafira, Vauxhalls recommend the Cam belt change at 8yrs according to their engineers but my car has only done 34000 miles so I'm weighing up whether to get it done or not.. some people say no way does it need it (low mileage) but the garage where I took it for service and MOT say it really should be done (they would wouldn't they?) and they'll change the water pump at the same time for around £350 so I'm undecided but will probably get in done after christmas as I don't want to risk the alternative.

They are right. Timing belts age with time as well as mileage; rather like rubber becoming hard and brittle. You need to replace the timing belt when either it reaches the recommended mileage or age; whichever comes first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure