Minibus test - what exactly am I doing?

rev_henry
rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Now that I'm 21 I've volunteered to drive a minibus for my Students' Union. I am having some kind of test next week, but I'm pretty sure its not a proper D1 test as that seems to be quite involved, and as its voluntary I don't seem to need D1. Can anyone tell me what I'm going to be doing exactly?! Is it just a test for themselves to make sure I can actually drive?

Comments

• I'd think so, the local Community Transport group do the same.
  • Who told you that you don't need a D1?
  • rev_henry
    No one, just the internet. Only seem to need a D1 for hire or reward.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2012 at 10:57PM
    If its got 8 or more seats you can't drive it in the first two years of driving.
  • rev_henry
    Yeah I know that much!
  • gpc273
    gpc273 Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If your not sitting the DSA test then I would assume your having an assessment by the owners of the minibus, which is probably just for their insurance/piece of mind.
    If it is the DSA test then money would have changed hands.
  • rev_henry
    gpc273 wrote: »
    If your not sitting the DSA test then I would assume your having an assessment by the owners of the minibus, which is probably just for their insurance/piece of mind.
    If it is the DSA test then money would have changed hands.
    All I know is that whatever it is the Union's paying for it! Not really bothered, I just wanna drive someone else's minibus about. :p Though an extra category on my licence would be nice.
  • Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    If its got 8 or more seats you can't drive it in the first two years of driving.

Isn't that more than 9 seats, ie. 8 passenger seats, plus a drivers seat?
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If it's a non-commercial body it will be an in house "test" so they can say to their insurer they've seen your licence (probably take a copy) and someone in a position of authority, or someone their allowed to delegate to, will accompany you on what they consider a sufficient drive to judge your abilities.
    Most decent minibuses, largely becuase of their driving position, steering and low first gear, are a doddle to drive and some of the "tests" are laughable. I was once asked to get a Transit out of a really tight space before a test and when I did it (those student years running an ice-cream van weren't all useless) the "examiner" said fine, you've passed! No on road drive, nothing.
    Just remember it will be longer and wider and higher, that's the only things you have to think of differently.
  • rev_henry
    colino wrote: »
    If it's a non-commercial body it will be an in house "test" so they can say to their insurer they've seen your licence (probably take a copy) and someone in a position of authority, or someone their allowed to delegate to, will accompany you on what they consider a sufficient drive to judge your abilities.
    Most decent minibuses, largely becuase of their driving position, steering and low first gear, are a doddle to drive and some of the "tests" are laughable. I was once asked to get a Transit out of a really tight space before a test and when I did it (those student years running an ice-cream van weren't all useless) the "examiner" said fine, you've passed! No on road drive, nothing.
    Just remember it will be longer and wider and higher, that's the only things you have to think of differently.
    Very well. I hope not, I'm looking forward to driving it about a bit (because I'm really sad). :p Also am I right in thinking a 14 or 16 seater minibus can use bus lanes?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure