Buyers remorse! Grrr

Options
Why is it when something sells for silly money you get a feeling they aren't going to be happy with the item.
I just knew when said item's auction ended they would find something to be unhappy about although it is brand new although not available in shops anymore.
Recieved the dreaded email yesterday that they thought it smelt funny!!
I explained the possibily of the packaging causing it and it would go. Also made it clear if they were unhappy to send it back for a refund.
Email this morning stating they want to send it back so i replied with address much to my annoyance as i know i won't get the same price again. They messaged back a whole 9 minutes later so say they have sent it back!
Even i can't get to the post office and back in 9 minutes.

Get the impression they got auction fever &had every intetion of returning it -why bid then :(:mad:

Comments

• porto_bello
    porto_bello Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Options
    Recieved the dreaded email yesterday that they thought it smelt funny!!
    I explained the possibily of the packaging causing it and it would go.
    I doubt it's the packaging that smells funny, it sounds more like it's the buyer's activities! ;)
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
    ...If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    Options
    Possibly it wasn't worth what they paid for it and it went for an unrealistic price to start off with.

Make sure the description is absolutely watertight and you're not concealing anything or accidentally overselling it.

Maybe get a few critiques of your listing and see what people would actually be expecting from it - sometimes it is difficult to be self-critical.

If it is 'brand new' but not available any more that is a bit of a contradiction - is it something you have had for a while but never worn/used? Might have been stored badly and might be better to list as 'New Other'. I'd expect a brand new item not only to be unworn/unused but still in just-off-the-shop-shelf condition. Which is difficult if it was bought some time ago.

Just a couple of thoughts exploring the issue. I don't think that most people intend to mess sellers around - they buy with the expectation of an item so it's wise just to look at what they thought the matter was with it even if you are convinced they are just messing with you.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt it's the packaging that smells funny, it sounds more like it's the buyer's activities! ;)
    I could probably get to the PO and back in fifteen minutes myself, unless there was a queue or I wanted something from the shop while I was there.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • porto_bello
    Options
    Crowqueen, it was a gag to cheer up lindseykim and anyone else passing - certainly not worthy of serious analysis. :D
    Get the impression they got auction fever &had every intetion of returning it -why bid then :(:mad:
    It seems a reasonable conclusion. I note that the buyer has not attempted to claim that the description or picture(s) were in any way inaccurate or deceptive... so they turned to something that wasn't in the description - the odour of the packaging!

I suppose in the relisting, lindseykim could prevent the same thing happening again by highlighting that the bubblewrap packaging will smell like bubblewrap packaging! ;) [Just a gag].

lindseykim13, what about a second chance offer?
    Groucho Marx
  • lindseykim13
    Options
    Crowqueen, it was a gag to cheer up lindseykim and anyone else passing - certainly not worthy of serious analysis. :D

It seems a reasonable conclusion. I note that the buyer has not attempted to claim that the description or picture(s) were in any way inaccurate or deceptive... so they turned to something that wasn't in the description - the odour of the packaging!

I suppose in the relisting, lindseykim could prevent the same thing happening again by highlighting that the bubblewrap packaging will smell like bubblewrap packaging! ;) [Just a gag].

lindseykim13, what about a second chance offer?

thanks lol i thought it was funny :)
    Thats a very good idea with the second chance offer. I didn't think that would be an option but as the buyer says my item will be back with me tomorrow aparantly i will try if it does get here.
    It isn't an item of clothing i don't 'do' clothes and a pretty good experienced business seller by now so i know my listing was water tight. Desribed as 'used' as not available anymore but with tags to cover myself i always under describe so my buyers are more happy when their items turn up and are better than expected.
    This item caused a bid of a bidding war as at the time it was the only one on ebay. I now rather suspect the buyer has found one cheaper or seen completed listings and decided they paid too much.
    As for someone not happy with an item they have been awfully polite and thanking me for allowing them to return it.
  • RainbowDrops
    Options
    Even i can't get to the post office and back in 9 minutes.

Maybe they've put it in the work mail tray?
  • porto_bello
    Options
    Or maybe they work in a Post Office? :D
    Groucho Marx
  • lindseykim13
    Options
    Or maybe they are having me on and they never sent it back-stranger things have happened.
  • pricematch
    Options
    How very funny. I received the exact same message about an item, funnily enough, sounds the same as your item from reading its descripton. Would you care to share with me via pm the id of the buyer, I'm wondering if it was the same person, the excuse was the same one used!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure