Travel insurance asking for holiday booking

jago25_98
jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
I've put in for an insurance claim for stolen goods.

They are asking for proof of my holiday booking. I didn't book it though - I just stepped off the plane on the way home from work for an impromptu holiday.

How do I handle it?

edit:
or rather, how do I best communicate it?
Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Maybe a bit better than above ;)

What do you mean "I just stepped off the plane on the way home from work for an impromptu holiday.". Were you abroad with work and stopped off for a holiday on the way back? Do you have the flight booking/boarding passes/hotel bill etc?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You must have paid for this impromptu holiday somehow, show them your credit/debit card receipts, your hotel bill, your boarding passes, online booking confirmation etc.

It can't be that hard to communicate that you took a last minute holiday on A date that you booked with B company, that you went to C destination, surely?

You'll also have a copy of the police report from your holiday to corroborate your report of theft.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Print off a copy of your air ticket booking confirmation.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If your "Trip" did not start and end in the UK there's a very strong chance your claim will be declined
  • zagfles wrote: »
    Maybe a bit better than above ;)

What do you mean "I just stepped off the plane on the way home from work for an impromptu holiday.". Were you abroad with work and stopped off for a holiday on the way back? Do you have the flight booking/boarding passes/hotel bill etc?

Yes, on my back from Norway to home via Amsterdam. I have a copy of the flight tickets on the way from the travel agent... but they're called "Business Travel"! Doh!

Obviously I don't want them to think I was on my way to work because that isn't covered. That's my worry.

I wasn't intending to claim anything for my stay - just the lost items. Unfortunately I'm getting the impression that I still have to provide some holiday booking proof - proof which I don't have.

I often go on holidays unbooked and unplanned either due to haphazard work schedules or just for fun. I once just got in my car and drove to go skiing in France and slept in the french sleep over stops they ave on the motorway. I'm beginning to worry this kind of thing invalidates insurance now?... but I feel I can't ask the insurance people to know for sure or I'll have no claim! I can't find the original T+C's either...
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • k12479
    k12479 Posts: 715 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Check your work/business travel insurance, assuming you have it. It may cover personal travel as part of business travel.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    jago25_98 wrote: »
    Yes, on my back from Norway to home via Amsterdam. I have a copy of the flight tickets on the way from the travel agent... but they're called "Business Travel"! Doh!

Obviously I don't want them to think I was on my way to work because that isn't covered. That's my worry.

I wasn't intending to claim anything for my stay - just the lost items. Unfortunately I'm getting the impression that I still have to provide some holiday booking proof - proof which I don't have.

I often go on holidays unbooked and unplanned either due to haphazard work schedules or just for fun. I once just got in my car and drove to go skiing in France and slept in the french sleep over stops they ave on the motorway. I'm beginning to worry this kind of thing invalidates insurance now?... but I feel I can't ask the insurance people to know for sure or I'll have no claim! I can't find the original T+C's either...
    I can't see this being an issue. Your company will have insurance which you could claim on as it was on the way back from a business trip. You could try that, and if they reject it saying you were on "holiday" for that part of the trip, present that to your travel insurance as proof!

As above you'll probably need a police report for the stolen goods.
  • Work are reluctant to claim as there is a limited number of times they can do this. Is it worth bugging an employer and effecting our claims record for the sake of ~£500. It's the principle too.

After saying that I don't book my holidays due to haphazard work schedule the travel insurance people are still refusing to pay out. I can't see this in the terms and conditions but the policy is so massive I wonder if I've missed something or interpreted part of it wrong:

http://protectyourbubble2011.insurefor.com/Branding/protectyourbubble2011/docs/1486_Policy_Wording.pdf

, so I am prefering to raise it with the ombusman.
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Your claim falls down on two points - it was part of a business trip (the policy states that cover for business trips is an optional extra), and if you wish to argue that it was not part of the business trip, then the trip did not commence in the UK (your business travel commenced in the UK), again invalidating your cover.

Your issue is with your business insurer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure