Peer-to-peer lending sites: MSE guide discussion

Options

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,475 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    Without hope of recovery is typically misrepresentation as well. Beyond the interest rate margin many P2P platforms make secured loans. That security can be commercial or residential property, land, goods, guarantees from various parties or even insurance at one platform. So if the borrower defaults those forms of security can be called on as part of debt recovery. For the platforms doing unsecured lending the recovery methods open to normal lenders can be used.
    While it is undoubtedly true that recovery options are available, the number of occasions where this has not been straightforward and led to a loss of the majority of capital on secured loans has been a bit of an eye opener for me. While I've avoided many of the worst examples, I've been caught up in a few and can't help but wonder what is lurking in my residual loans. It's not just one or two platforms either, though I have more confidence in some than others to (a) avoid these errors in judgement in the first place, and (b) manage recoveries well when they do occur.
  • fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    manage recoveries well when they do occur.

What is this mystical site you speak of?
  • fun4everyone
    Options
    Fellow Collateral posters...

As was pointed out a few pages out there is some quite significant evidence the FCA failed us. There are screenshots of their website showing collateral as authorised, video clips of an FCA dude claiming being listed on their site means everything is ok, screenshots of database entries that have been altered after he fact etc etc. Their is a good thread with all this information on the P2P collateral forum and several posters are complaining via a form to complain about the FCA themselves and also by emailing the Treasury Select Commitee. There are even suggestions the FCA could be liable for any financial loss that comes about when the dust settles.

Have any of you done this? I am sure it is possibly worthwhile but with all the complaints already in if the FCA are eventually deemed liable would this not be applied to all investors rather than just the ones who complained? I could be persuaded to put mine in but I dunno....
  • masonic
    Options
    What is this mystical site you speak of?
    Ablrate stands out on the point of managing recoveries. Despite having to deal with a particularly unscrupulous borrower in the early days, it has at least been thorough and persistent in pursuing that recovery. Since then it has had a good track record of managing defaults through to a successful outcome.
  • masonic
    Options
    Have any of you done this? I am sure it is possibly worthwhile but with all the complaints already in if the FCA are eventually deemed liable would this not be applied to all investors rather than just the ones who complained? I could be persuaded to put mine in but I dunno....
    I've put in a complaint about the FCA. I haven't bothered to raise the matter with the TSC as I think a sufficient number of people have already done so. Failing to put in a complaint would mean losing out on any redress should it be decided the FCA has some responsibility for losses.
  • fun4everyone
    Options
    Ablrate stands out on the point of managing recoveries. Despite having to deal with a particularly unscrupulous borrower in the early days, it has at least been thorough and persistent in pursuing that recovery. Since then it has had a good track record of managing defaults through to a successful outcome.

holygrail.gif
  • itwasntme001
    itwasntme001 Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've put in a complaint about the FCA. I haven't bothered to raise the matter with the TSC as I think a sufficient number of people have already done so. Failing to put in a complaint would mean losing out on any redress should it be decided the FCA has some responsibility for losses.

How did you put in a complaint about the FCA? I might do the same.
  • Snow_Dog
    Snow_Dog Posts: 690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    Yes, I remember you used my sign-up when the thread was still active - I probably will still go in with any 7% self-selects but these seem rare. And I don't do second charges or development loans generally. When I first joined when they got going 7% was the rule, rather than the exception.

I'm favoring Assetz Capital at the moment for new money in - still can get 8%+ in numerous loans. I don't do anything less than 8% on Assetz if investing manually. With some many more loans on Assstz it's easier getting diversified.

Sounds like you and I have similar approaches - second charges I totally avoid and yes, I have seen mostly 6% odd loans on Kuflink as compared to when I joined mostly 6.8% to 7.2%.

Also favouring Assetz, have done from the moment I started using their platform, only thing is I dont want to be too heavy in one single platform but havent seen any others that I like as much. Love the way the MLA ticks over through the month.
  • Snow_Dog
    Snow_Dog Posts: 690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What financial publications do people generally read on this forum?

Are there any specific ones where I can find good information on P2P?

I know of the P2P Independent Forum and some other sites that provide useful comparison, but actual online magazine publications...?

The website financialthing is pretty good, the chap who does that is invested in about 20 different p2p platforms, interestingly I have just looked and my two highest invested p2p are the same as his.

He also does a good guide and I think he has done video interviews and tours of some of the p2p companies.
  • masonic
    Options
    How did you put in a complaint about the FCA? I might do the same.
    https://www.fca.org.uk/about/complain-about-regulators
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure