How to find out who the deceased's GP was..

As above really, my dad died and I need to find out who his GP was at the time of his death.
We didn't have much contact for various reasons but I was his only child and there's no relatives on his side who might know.
Does anyone know how I could obtain this information? I am sure it's something really simple to do, I just can't seem to think right now. Thanks.

Comments

• NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there a big choice of practices where he was living? You should be able to google the practice names and phone them for confirmation if he was a patient of theirs and the name of his GP.
  • When you do phone don't ask if Joe Bloggs was one of their patients, patient confidentiality means they won't tell you but if you say you're Joe Blogg's daughter and can they tell you which dr he was registered with, chances is they'll tell you or else say he wasn't one of their patients.

Is it absolutly necessary that you know the name of his Dr, if it's for official forms just say you don't know.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You need to contact his local health authority, that would be the quicker and correct way. Also any request for info would have to go through their channels anyway.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Health Authorities no longer exist.
    OP - contact the local Primary Care Trust's PALS sevice, they will advise you of the best way to proceed.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I would start with the death certificate.
  • Hi all and thanks for your help. I think PALS would be the best place to start as the DC only details cause of death.
    He had a medical policy and as his only next of kin I appear to be entitled to a small sum. As it stands, I don't really feel entitled to keep this money so I would like the heart unit where Dad died to have it. The insurance company need access to my dad's medical records to confirm things.
    Once again, thanks for the suggestions and I will let you know how I get on.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 27 November 2012 at 6:09PM
    The death cert contains the place of death and the certifying Dr.

In most cases this will get you to the GP or hospital records that should have the GP on record.

As you allready know the unit where he died they probably have what you need PALLS is a good idea.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Can you look through his belongings to see if there are any repeat prescriptions in there
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • The death certificate records the attending physician who qualified, and who was willing to issue.
    He may have died away from home, as a result of an accident or in hospital in which case GP details won't be recorded.
    If it was a sudden and unexpected death these details may be available through the coroner, failing that I would write to the local PCT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure