We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Pineapple sage

Options
does anyone know where I can find Pineapple Sage seeds?

I can find out how to grow it, but can't seem to buy it anywhere apart from ebay - and having had bad experiences with seeds on ebay I want to steer clear of buying from there :)

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Very limited research suggests you would be risking £2.50 by attempting to buy the seed on ebay from somewhere like Thailand. That's roughly what you'd pay for a smallish plant next year after allowing someone else to look after it through the winter.

I'd suggest you go that way.

If reputable mainstream herb nurseries don't sell the seed, then there must be a reason, like it needing special conditions to set well, or natural low viability.

As an aside, I have had very good experiences buying seeds on ebay from Premier Seeds. :)
  • Badrick
    Badrick Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apparently they don't set viable seed very well away from Mediterranean conditions and on a couple of forums, it's been suggested our larger bees damage the flowers when collecting pollen.
    I'd go along with Davesnaves suggestion and get a plant next spring, as you can propagate from cuttings, the side shoots are said to root readily in water.
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
  • OneYorkshireLass
    Options
    Thanks both of you, I will follow your suggestions and try and buy it next spring :)
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jekka sells most obscure herbs http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com/plants?keyword=pineapple+sage it was around £4 for a small pot in 2011.
  • blossomhill_2
    Options
    They take very very easy cuttings, I always have several pots on the go as well as the big bush in the garden

A requets on freecycle might flush one out
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They take very very easy cuttings, I always have several pots on the go as well as the big bush in the garden

A requets on freecycle might flush one out

The big bush in the garden...as in..you manage to over winter it outside? I have never acheived that, even in mild winters. :(
  • blossomhill_2
    Options
    The big bush in the garden...as in..you manage to over winter it outside? I have never acheived that, even in mild winters. :(
    We are quite mild here, it is more of a hedge really and in front of a low wall, with winter jasmine growing up through it and a car parked next to it - maybe that gives it protection< I've never really thought about it now you mention it lir

It's a bit sparse this year, think I should have pruned it harder last spring

It's a hedge combi I'd recommend, the wrens love it - pineapple sage, winter jasmine, tendrils of Albertine rose, a bit of pyrancantha for structure at one end and a winter clematis twining through it all - it comes into its own all winter then the rose perks it up in late May/June

I am trying to get Japanese anenome estblished to grow up through it too but slow progress (as I forget to water them)
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure